Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

2023-24 School Breakfast Program (SBP) and Summer Meal Programs (SMP) Grants

NOTE: The application due date for this program has passed.

Funding Description

Funding is for nonrecurring expenses incurred in initiating or expanding a: (1) School Breakfast Program, serving students in kindergarten through grade twelve or (2) Summer Meal Program, serving children and youth eighteen years of age and under during school breaks. School districts, direct-funded charter schools, and county offices of education may apply for grants; however, only one type of grant may be awarded per school site. Private schools, residential childcare institutions, and juvenile detention centers are not eligible.


Eligible Applicants Individuals
Required Eligibility Criteria To qualify for SBP grants, at least 20 percent of enrolled students at the school site must be approved for free or reduced-price meals. To receive SMP grants, the site must meet program eligibility criteria. The Budget Act allows the California Department of Education (CDE) to award grants only to school districts, county offices of education, and direct-funded charter schools.
Other Eligibility Considerations Site must not have previously been awarded a grant for an SBP or SMP within the past three years.
Eligible Grade Level(s) Not applicable
Eligible Age Level(s) Not applicable


Legal Authority California Education Code Section 49550.3; Budget Item 6110-201-0001
Source / Type State / Grant
State Fiscal Year 2023-24
SACS Resource / Revenue Codes 5380 / 8520
Total Available $1,017,000
Recipient Amount $15,000 per site
Match Requirement No
Allocation Formula Recipients will receive 90 percent of the funding at the time of award with the remaining 10 percent awarded upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the award time frame.

Important Dates

Date Application Available January 4, 2023
Due Date March 17, 2023
Expected Notification Date June 1, 2023

Additional Information

Application Request for Applications []
Background School Breakfast and Summer Meal Grants []
Fiscal Unavailable
Funding ResultsFunding Results []
Other Unavailable


Program Gina Stahlecker, 916-445-1640,
Fiscal Elia Bassin, 916-322-3005,
Division Nutrition Services Division
Last Modified: March 10, 2023
Related Content
Trending in Funding
No Trending items
Recently Posted in Funding