Dear County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, and High School Principals:
2023 National Youth Science Camp
The California Department of Education (CDE) is pleased to announce that applications are open for the 2023 National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) for high-achieving, science-oriented students.
Hosted by the National Youth Science Academy, the NYSC is an annual residential science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) program for high school students designed to honor and challenge some of the nation’s rising leaders and provide them with opportunities to engage with STEAM professionals and participate in exciting outdoor activities. Typically, two delegates are selected to attend camp from each state and the District of Columbia. The NYSC is offered to selected participants at no cost so that talented students may attend regardless of their financial ability.
The 2023 NYSC will be a hybrid experience, with the first five days fully virtual (June 19–June 23) followed by 2.5 weeks in person (June 24–July 12) in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia. This year, the NYSC will be open to both graduating seniors as well as juniors. Selected delegates must commit to attending the full camp including both the virtual and in-person portions of camp.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Graduate from high school between July 1, 2022, and June 30, 2024.
- Documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in STEAM.
- Recognition for notable achievements in STEAM program areas.
- Skills and achievements outside of STEAM and academia.
- Demonstrated curiosity and eagerness to explore new topics.
- Intend to pursue higher education and a career in a STEAM-related field.
- Be willing and able to participate daily for the entire duration of the NYSC program.
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with at least one booster before attending the in-person portion of camp. Official documentation of vaccination status will be required if selected to attend the NYSC.
A centerpiece of the NYSC is the keynote lecture series presented by prestigious STEM professionals who are making a difference in their fields of study as well as interactive seminars and multi-day mini-courses. Delegates will have opportunities to engage in meaningful discussions and experiences with presenters and other participants.
The completed application and supporting materials must be submitted on the National Youth Science Academy’s NYSC Application (U.S. Applicants) web page at https://www.nysacademy.org/programs/nyscamp/2023-national-youth-science-camp-application/ by 6 p.m. EST on Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
For more information about the NYSC program, please visit the National Youth Science Academy’s NYSC web page at https://www.nysacademy.org/programs/nyscamp/ or, if you have any questions, you may contact Dina Fong, Manager, Communications Division, at email@example.com.
I encourage you to share this unique opportunity with your students.
State Superintendent of Public Instruction