Dear Private School Administrators:
Annual Private School Affidavit (PSA) Filing Notice
The filing of the Private School Affidavit (PSA) is an annual requirement of all private schools offering elementary and high school level instruction in California. Per California Education Code Section 33190, an affidavit shall be filed with the California Department of Education (CDE) between October 1 and 15 of each year. Our records indicate that you filed an affidavit last year, therefore, we are providing a friendly reminder to file an affidavit for the 2023–24 school year, should you plan to continue to offer elementary and/or high school level private school instruction. If you do not plan to provide private school instruction in California this school year (i.e., school closed, moved out of state, or no longer homeschooling), no action is necessary and you may disregard this notice.
Filing the Affidavit
Beginning with the 2023–24 school year, and annually thereafter, the PSA filing system will be available on or about August 1. For the 2023–24 school year, the PSA filing system will be available on August 1, 2023.
Since you filed an affidavit last year, a portion of last year’s information may be used to expedite the filing of this year’s affidavit. To prefill this year’s affidavit with information from last year’s filing, you will need last year’s confirmation code, which will be provided in a separate email.
Instructions for filing the 2023–24 PSA with information from last year’s affidavit:
- Go to the Private School Affidavit 2023–24 filing system at https://www3.cde.ca.gov/psa
- Read the Notice and designate whether the school is a full-time private school and select next.
- Select the option, “Yes, proceed using last year’s affidavit information” and select next.
- Provide last year’s confirmation code on the Retrieve Previous Year Affidavit screen and select Submit.
If you have forgotten or misplaced your confirmation code, you may request that it be resent to you by entering the email address associated with last year’s filing on the Retrieve Previous Year Affidavit screen.
- Complete all sections of the affidavit.
- Review your affidavit entries and select the "Submit Affidavit" button.
- A confirmation of your submission will appear displaying the date and a confirmation code, as well as a link to your completed affidavit.
- To print and retain a copy of your completed affidavit, select the link to view your completed affidavit.
- A confirmation of your Affidavit filing will be sent to the email address reported for the Site Administrator and E-Signature/Owner containing your confirmation number and links to access your affidavit.
There are detailed, section by section, instructions for filing the affidavit available from the CDE Private School Affidavit Instructions web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/psainstructions.asp
For additional information regarding filing the Private School Affidavit, please visit the CDE Private School Affidavit Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/affidavit.asp.
Should you have questions about the contents of this email, please contact CDE Private School Data staff by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shana Yeary, Manager
CBEDS/CDS Support Office
Educational Data Management Division