Instructional MaterialsInformation and resources for instructional materials.
2021 World Languages Instructional Materials Adoption
California, home to the most diverse student population in the country, is ready to expand opportunities for all students to acquire world languages. The 2021 World Languages instructional materials adoption represents the culmination of a substantial undertaking to support the implementation of the World Languages Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (WL Standards) in classrooms throughout the state. Beginning with the adoption of the WL Standards in 2019 and the subsequent development and adoption of the World Languages Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve in 2020, this current instructional materials adoption will recognize and recommend instructional materials programs that fully meet the WL Standards and rigorous evaluation criteria.
- State Board of Education (SBE) Adopted Programs
- State Board of Education Adoption Report (DOCX)
- World Languages Instructional Quality Commission Advisory Report (DOCX)
- World Languages Publishers Contact Information
- 2021 World Languages Adoption Reports of Findings
- World Languages Instructional Materials Adoption Schedule of Significant Events
Approved by the State Board of Education on July 8, 2020.
- World Languages Adoption Public Comment
- 2019 World Languages Standards
- 2020 World Languages Framework
- Guidance for Implementation/Local Adoption of Instructional Materials
- Guidelines for Piloting Textbooks and Instructional Materials (DOC)
- Implementation of Instructional Materials Not Adopted by California
- Implementation of Instructional Materials Not Adopted by California (DOC)
Guidance for school districts which elect to utilize instructional materials not adopted by the SBE.
- Reviewing and Selecting World Languages Instructional Materials (PPTX)
Slideshow with guidance for reviewing and selecting instructional materials aligned with the 2019 World Languages Standards and the 2020 World Languages Framework.
Training and Deliberations
- List of Appointed Instructional Materials Reviewers
State Board of Education appointed Instructional Materials Reviewers (IMRs) on January 13, 2021
- List of Appointed Content Reviewer Experts
State Board of Education appointed Content Reviewer Experts (CREs) on January 13, 2021
Agendas and Meeting Notices
- Public Meeting Notice and Agenda, July 26–30, 2021
2021 World Languages Instructional Materials Adoption Deliberations
- 2021 World Languages Adoption Notice
- Reviewer Training Meetings and Notices
- World Languages Instructional Material Adoption Notice
Publisher Briefings and Bulletins
- Intent to Submit Form (PDF)
- Invitation to Submit (DOCX)
- Publisher Bulletin 2020–1
- Frequently Asked Questions
Criteria Maps Templates
Standards Maps Templates
- Standards Map for Novice (DOCX)
- Standards Map for Intermediate (DOCX)
- Standards Map for Advanced (DOCX)
- Standards Map for Superior (DOCX)
- Publisher Instructions for the Standards Maps Templates
- Social Content Review
Instructional materials used in California public schools must comply with Education Code sections 60040-60045 and 60048 as well as the State Board of Education (SBE) guidelines in Standards for Evaluating Instructional Materials for Social Content 2013 Edition (DOC).
2003 World Languages Instructional Materials Adoption
- List of Adopted Programs (PDF)
By action of the State Board of Education on November 13, 2003.
- State Board of Education Additional Adopted Materials
Programs adopted by the State Board of Education in a follow-up adoption on September 7, 2005.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- 2003 World Languages Adoption Report (PDF; 3MB)
Report of the State Board of Education.
- Addendum to the 2003 World Languages Adoption Report (PDF)
Report of the State Board of Education.