World Languages StandardsInformation and resources related to World Languages Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Languages Standards Development
The California Department of Education (CDE), Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), and State Board of Education (SBE) are developing new California World Languages (WL) Standards. Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643, Education Code (EC) Section 60605.5 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the IQC, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
- 2019 World Languages Standards Timeline
The Schedule of Significant Events, or Timeline, for the revision of the 2019 WL Standards was approved by the SBE on September 13, 2017.
Public Comment for Draft WL Standards
On July 26, 2018, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) took action to begin the public review and comment period for the draft WL Standards. The public review and comment period is an opportunity for any interested individuals or organizations to provide comments and suggested edits to the IQC. Those comments and suggestions will inform the IQC’s actions at its November 15–16, 2018, meeting, at which it will consider recommending the draft WL Standards to the State Board of Education for adoption in January 2019.
- Draft WL Standards (DOCX)
The Instructional Quality Commission and the State Board of Education welcome your review and comments on the draft WL Standards.
- Provide Public Comment
Select the link above to access an online survey to review and comment on the various sections of the draft WL Standards. The online survey will remain open from August 1 through September 30, 2018, at 3:00 p.m.
WL Standards Advisory Committee
- World Languages Standards Advisory Committee Members
On January 18, 2018, the SBE appointed 20 members to the WL SAC. The WL SAC will assist the Superintendent in developing recommendations for revisions to the WL Standards.
- Guidelines for the Revision of the World Language Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 18, 2017, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the WL SAC.
WL SAC Meeting Agendas and Notices
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: June 28 –29, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: May 24 –25, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: March 20 –21, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: February 1 –2, 2018
WL SAC meeting dates
- February 1–2, 2018
- March 20–21, 2018
- May 24–25, 2018
- June 28–29, 2018
Focus Group Report
- World Language Standards Focus Group Report (DOC)
The focus group report summarizes the comments received at the three focus group meetings.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join our listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the World Languages standards development process.