World Language StandardsInformation and resources related to World Language Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Language Standards Development
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education (SBE) are commencing the process for developing new California World Language Standards (WL). Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643, Education Code (EC) Section 60605.5 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
Recruitment for the WL Standards Advisory Committee
- Application for the World Language Standards Advisory Committee
Educators with Bilingual, Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) or California Teachers of English Learners (CTEL) authorization; district and county administrators; college/university faculty; and other world language professionals are encouraged to apply. The submission period for the online application is September 15–October 30, 2017.
Please note that the planned WL SAC meeting dates are:
- February 1–2, 2018
- March 20–21, 2018
- May 24–25, 2018
- June 28–29, 2018
Recruitment Flyer for the WL Standards Advisory Committee
Please encourage your colleagues to apply for the WL SAC and to join the World Language listserv to receive notifications of updates regarding the WL Standards Revision Project. Access a flyer for this opportunity: World Language SAC Flyer (PDF).
State Board of Education Meeting – September 13–14, 2017
In the SBE Agenda for September 2017, item related to the WL Standards Revision Project:
- Item 09 (DOC): 2019 World Language Content Standards Revision: Approval of Schedule of Significant Events and Approval of Online Application for Appointment to the World Language Standards Advisory Committee.
The CDE convened three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines that will be utilized by a group of World Language experts who will be tasked to develop the new standards. The meetings, now concluded, were open to the public.
- World Language Standards Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local educational agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- Focus Group Discussion Questions
At each focus group meeting, the focus group members addressed a set of questions regarding the content for California’s revision of World Language Standards.
- World Language Focus Group Public Meeting Notices/Agendas: The public meeting notices/agendas provide details on each focus group meeting.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- Learning World Languages and Cultures in California (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join our listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the World Language standards development process.