World Language StandardsInformation and resources related to World Language Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Language Standards Development
The California Department of Education (CDE), Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), and State Board of Education (SBE) are developing new California World Language (WL) Standards. Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643,Education Code(EC) Section 60605.5 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the IQC, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
The WL Standards Advisory Committee
The IQC and the SBE will review and recommend members for the WL Standards Advisory Committee (SAC) by January 19, 2018. Notifications will go out to all applicants by the end of January 2018. Please note that WL SAC meetings will be held at the CDE on:
- February 1–2, 2018
- March 20–21, 2018
- May 24–25, 2018
- June 28–29, 2018
State Board of Education Meeting – September 13–14, 2017
In the SBE Agenda for September 2017, item related to the WL Standards Revision Project:
- Item 09 (DOC): 2019 World Language Content Standards Revision: Approval of Schedule of Significant Events and Approval of Online Application for Appointment to the World Language Standards Advisory Committee.
- World Language Standards Focus Group Report (DOC)
The focus group report summarizes the comments received at the three focus group meetings.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- Learning World Languages and Cultures in California (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join our listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the World Language standards development process.