California Arts StandardsInformation and Resources related to the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Standards).
California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The State Board of Education (SBE) adopted the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Standards) on January 9, 2019. To download the pre-publication chapters approved by the SBE, select the links below:
- Introduction (DOCX)
- Dance (DOCX)
- Media Arts (DOCX)
- Music (DOCX)
- Theatre (DOCX)
- Visual Arts (DOCX)
- Glossary (DOCX)
Chart of Public Input (DOCX)
This chart includes public comments received during the 60-day public review period of the draft Arts Standards.
Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards Revision Background
Per CaliforniaEducation Code (EC) Section 60605.13, “The Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), shall recommend to the state board revisions to the visual and performing arts content standards in the subjects of dance, theater, music, and visual arts adopted by the state board pursuant to Section 60605.1, and shall recommend visual and performing arts standards in the subject of media arts.”EC Section 60605.13 further specifies that the National Core Arts Standards “shall serve as the basis for deliberations.”
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the VAPA standards was approved by the SBE on September 13, 2017.
In January 2017, the CDE convened three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines to direct the work of the Visual and Performing Arts Standards Advisory Committee (VAPA SAC).
- Visual and Performing Arts Standards Focus Group Report (DOC)
The Focus Group Report summarizes the comments received at the three focus group meetings.
VAPA Standards Advisory Committee
- Visual and Performing Arts Standards Advisory Committee (VAPA SAC) Members
On January 18, 2018, the SBE appointed 21 members to the VAPA SAC. The VAPA SAC developed recommendations for revisions to the VAPA Standards.
- Guidelines for the Revision of the Visual and Performing Arts Standards for California Public Schools, Prekindergarten through Grade Twelve
On January 18, 2018, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA SAC.
VAPA SAC Meeting Agendas and Notices
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: May 3–4, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: April 4–5, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: March 7–8, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: February 13–14, 2018
- National Core Arts Standards in Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts
- Create/CA: California's Statewide Arts Education Coalition
- Arts Education Data Project
The national Arts Education Data Project has been developed over in partnership with the State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education and Quadrant Research. California course enrollment data is presented through an interactive visual mapping tool.
- ArtsEdSearch is the nation's hub for research on the impact of the arts in education
Join the VAPA Revisions Listserv to receive periodic updates on the revision process. To subscribe send a "blank" e-mail message to email@example.com.