Visual and Performing Arts Content StandardsInformation and Resources related to the Visual and Performing Arts Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards Revision
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education (SBE) have commenced the process for revising the California Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) content standards. Per California Education Code (EC) Section 60605.13, on or before January 31, 2019, “The Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission, shall recommend to the state board revisions to the visual and performing arts content standards in the subjects of dance, theater, music, and visual arts adopted by the state board pursuant to Section 60605.1, and shall recommend visual and performing arts standards in the subject of media arts.” EC Section 60605.13 further specifies that the National Core Arts Standards “shall serve as the basis for deliberations.”
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the VAPA standards was approved by the SBE on September 13, 2017.
Public Comment for Draft VAPA Standards
On July 26, 2018, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) took action to begin the public review and comment period for the draft VAPA Standards. The public review and comment period is an opportunity for any interested individuals or organizations to provide comments and suggested edits to the IQC. Those comments and suggestions will inform the IQC’s actions at its November 15–16, 2018 meeting, at which it will consider recommending the draft VAPA Standards to the SBE for adoption in January 2019.
Draft VAPA Standards
The IQC and the SBE welcome your review and comments on the draft VAPA Standards.
- Introduction (DOCX)
- Glossary (DOCX)
- Dance Standards (DOCX)
- Media Arts Standards (DOCX)
- Music Standards (DOCX)
- Theatre Standards (DOCX)
- Visual Arts Standards (DOCX)
Select the link above to access an online survey to review and comment on the various sections of the draft VAPA Standards. The online survey will remain open through September 30, 2018, at 3:00 p.m.
VAPA Standards Advisory Committee
- Visual and Performing Arts Standards Advisory Committee Members
On January 18, 2018, the SBE appointed 21 members to the VAPA SAC. The VAPA SAC will assist the Superintendent in developing recommendations for revisions to the VAPA Standards.
- Guidelines for the Revision of the Visual and Performing Arts Standards for California Public Schools, Prekindergarten through Grade Twelve
On January 18, 2017, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA SAC.
VAPA SAC Meeting Agendas and Notices
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: May 3–4, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: April 4–5, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: March 7–8, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: February 13–14, 2018
VAPA SAC meeting dates are:
- February 13-14, 2018
- March 7-8, 2018
- April 4-5, 2018
- May 3-4, 2018
The CDE convened three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines that will be utilized by a group of arts education experts who will be tasked to develop the new standards. The meetings, now concluded, were open to the public.
- Visual and Performing Arts Standards Focus Group Report (DOC)
The Focus Group Report summarizes the comments received at the three focus group meetings.
- National Core Arts Standards in Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts
- Create/CA: California's Statewide Arts Education Coalition
- ArtsEdSearch is the nation's hub for research on the impact of the arts in education
Join the VAPA Revisions Listserv to receive periodic updates on the revision process. To subscribe send a "blank" e-mail message to email@example.com.