International Baccalaureate ProgramTwo-year comprehensive and rigorous pre-university curriculum.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (DP) is a two-year comprehensive and rigorous pre-university curriculum leading to an IB diploma. Successful IB candidates are typically granted advanced placement credit at the finest universities and colleges in the nation. The IB DP curriculum sets out the requirements for study that is composed of three core elements that aim to broaden students' educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.
The three core elements are:
- Theory of knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, activity, service, in which students complete a project related to those three concepts.
There are six subject groups in which there are different courses within each subject group:
- Studies in Language and Literature
- Language Acquisition
- Individuals and Societies
- The Arts
The International Baccalaureate (IB) , based in Geneva Switzerland, governs and continuously monitors the academic content of IB Programs. Preparatory programs are offered at the primary and middle schools levels. To support teacher preparedness and student success, the IB provides a wide range of services to the schools authorized to administer its programs that include:
- Curriculum Connections
- Building Quality Curriculum
- Strengthening Leadership of Groups and Schools
- Optimizing Assessment Analysis
Some of these services are available to prospective IB schools as well. There is an application process for schools wishing to become an authorized IB school. See the Diploma Programme in North America for more information.
IB Exam Fee Reimbursement
Subject to fund availability, the CDE will reimburse districts for specified costs of the IB exam fees paid to the IBO on behalf of eligible students.
See further details for reimbursement on our Advanced Placement Web page.