Webinar: Tuesdays at 2 School Nutrition Town Hall
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Main Web Page
Join us for the next Nutrition Services Division (NSD) Town Hall scheduled for May 23, 2023, at 2 p.m. The NSD will share highlights of recent policy guidance, funding and training opportunities, and best practices for operating School Nutrition Programs (SNP) during School Year 2022–23.
Scroll to the end of this communication for resource links shared during the April Town Hall.
Town Hall Webinar PowerPoint
By 10 a.m. the day of the Town Hall, the webinar slides will be available on the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS) website .
- For School Food Authorities: Select Applications and Download Forms
- For Summer Food Service Programs (SFSP) operators: Go to the SFSP Module select Applications and Download Forms
Because slides are subject to update, slides posted in CNIPS will be marked “Draft.”
After the Town Hall has occurred, PowerPoint slides will be posted to the California Department of Education (CDE) website on the CDE COVID-19 Guidance in the Child Nutrition Programs web page under the Webinars tab.
The Tuesday @ 2 Virtual Town Hall events typically occur each month on the fourth Tuesday, unless otherwise noted. The Town Halls provide an opportunity for schools to learn about policy guidance, program requirements and best practices for operating their programs during School Year (SY) 2022–23.
The desired audience includes all state and local school nutrition professionals, superintendents, school business officials, and community partners involved in school meal service.
Tuesday @ 2 School Nutrition Town Hall
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Registration and Cost
This town hall is free to attend. Register in advance for this webinar.
After registering, you will see a screen that says Webinar Registration Approved with a link to the webinar. You will also receive several emails with information about joining the webinar. First, you will receive confirmation the day you register and then you will receive two reminder emails: one day and one hour prior to the webinar. If for some reason you cannot find the email confirmation, or do not receive the reminders, you can always reregister.
Tip for Attendees
To save time before the meeting, check your system to make sure it is ready to use Zoom.
- Visit the Zoom test link.
- If you experience issues, visit the Zoom Help Center web page for assistance.
If for some reason you receive an error message that the host has declined your webinar registration, try using an alternate email address. While not ideal, you may also join by phone if you have technical issues logging in from your computer.
- Program Management (3200)
- Manage staff work including scheduling (3210)
Pursuant to state and federal statutes, individuals with a disability may request reasonable accommodation to attend or participate in the Tuesday @ 2 School Nutrition Town Hall. Please note that Live Captioning will be available during the webinar.
Town Hall Links Provided in April
The following links were shared in the chat during the recent town hall:
- Celebrate Every Kid Healthy Week - Action for Healthy Kids web page
- California’s Short-Lived Climate Pollutant Reduction Strategy - CalRecycle web page .
- Resources for Local Education Agencies: K-12 Public Schools and School Districts - CalRecycle Home Page .
- You can look up your assigned School Nutrition Program (SNP) analyst on the California Department of Education (CDE) School Nutrition Program Contacts web page.
- Access the Tuesday at 2 School Nutrition Town Hall slides on the CNIPS website , select Applications and Download Forms. Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) operators select the SFSP Module, Applications and Download Forms.
- Send comments regarding the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Proposed Rule- Child Nutrition Programs: Revisions to Meal Patterns Consistent with the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, on the Regulations.gov website
or by mail to School Meals Policy Division, Food and Nutrition Service, P.O. Box 9233, Reston, Virginia, 20195.
- The complete proposed rule is available on the Federal Register: Child Nutrition Programs: Revisions to Meal Patterns Consistent With the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans web page
- Access the following USDA Proposed Rule Resources on the USDA website:
- The CDE NSD USDA Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Proposed Rule listserv including information, resources and March 30, 2023 webinar are available on the CDE NSD web page.
- Complete the electronic 2023 Universal Meals Program Food Service Director Survey .
- Email your KIT Funds questions, to the KIT Funds team at KITFunds@cde.ca.gov.
- Send any Local Food for Schools questions to the Local Food for Schools team by email at LFSGrant@cde.ca.gov.
- Check out the Local Food for Schools web page and the recently added Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) tab on the CDE NSD website.
- Information about the School Food Best Practices (SFBP) funds, including the link to the online opt-in registration form, can be found on the CDE SFBP Funds web page.
- Local education agencies (LEA) interested in SFBP funding must complete the SFBP Funds registration form by May 15, 2023.
- Visit Grants.gov for more information on the USDA Team Nutrition Training Grant 2023 .
- Send questions about the Healthy Meals Incentives Grant for Small and/or Rural school food authorities (SFA) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn more about the Healthy Meals Incentives
on the USDA's website and visit the Healthy Meal Incentive Application
on the Healthy Meals Incentives website.
- CA No Kid Hungry Summer Meals web page
- For more information about the SFSP, visit the CDE Summer Meals web page.
- Review CDE's School Nutrition Programs vs Seamless Summer Option for Summer Meal Operations Listserv.
- Review CDE's Non-Congregate Meal Service in Rural Areas Pilot D Listserv.
- Noncongregate Waiver for Unanticipated School Closure Survey.
- For Food Distribution Program (FDP) questions, please email the FDP staff at email@example.com.
- CDE's Management Bulletin SNP-04-2021 Pricing of Adult Meals in the National School Lunch Program/School Breakfast Program.
- Email adult meals pricing questions to the Resource Management Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review the CDE 2023–24 Child Nutrition Programs Reimbursement Rates web page.
- If you have any questions regarding 2023–24 Child Nutrition Programs Reimbursement Rates, please contact the NSD by email at SFSP@cde.ca.gov.
- Learn more about the CDE’s 2023 Farm to School Celebration Week on the CDE NSD Farm to Summer Celebration Week web page.
- Email your Farm to Summer Celebration Week questions to Farm to School staff at Farm2School@cde.ca.gov.
- Read about Robertson Road School’s Farm to School and Junior Chefs program article Junior Chefs cooking up healthy fare at Modesto schools | Modesto Bee (modbee.com) .
- Read about Riverside USD, EdSource commentary Schools should partner with family farms to provide nutrition and education | EdSource .
- Visit the Chef Ann Foundation | Pre-Apprenticeship web page
to learn more and apply!
- If you have any additional questions, please contact Eriko Greeson at email@example.com.
- Register in advance for the Winning at Wellness webinar using the Schools Vital Role in Supporting Nutrition Security
- Learn more about the International Fresh Product Association's Foodservice Conference Schedule
- More information on the Buy American Food Act (Senate Bill 490) and Assembly Bill 778 Institutional purchasers: purchase of California-grown agricultural food products on the CDE NSD web page.
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please email NSDTownHalls@cde.ca.gov.