Model Curriculum ProjectsCurricula in a specific topic developed pursuant to legislation.
Model curriculum projects are initiated in response to specific legislation calling for a state-developed curriculum in a specified topic or disciplinary area of study. Typically these projects are done under the supervision of the State Board of Education (SBE) or the Instructional Quality Commission.
AB 167 Model Curriculum Projects
Assembly Bill 167, Chapter 252, Statutes of 2021 amended California Education Code sections 33540.2, 33540.4, 33540.6 and 51226.9, for the development and maintenance of model curricula relating to the Vietnamese American refugee experience, the Cambodian genocide, Hmong history and cultural studies, and Native American studies. The California Department of Education shall, in collaboration with, and subject to the approval of, the executive director of the state board, enter into contracts with county offices of education for the purposes of developing a model curriculum. Work on these projects will begin in 2022 and conclude by September of 2025.
- Orange County Department of Education
Informational web page for the Vietnamese American refugee experience, Cambodian genocide, and Hmong history and cultural studies model curricula projects.
- Humboldt County Office of Education
- San Diego County Office of Education
Informational web pages for the Native American studies model curriculum project.
- Model Curriculum Projects Supplemental Funding Results
- AB 167 Model Curriculum Projects Funding Results
- Model Curriculum Project Platform Funding Results
2020 Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum
- Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum
The model curriculum was adopted by the SBE on March 18, 2021.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Information about the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum.
- Ethnic Studies Professional Development and Resources
General information regarding professional development and resources to support ethnic studies courses.
- Ethnic Studies Local Support
One-time funding for local educational agencies to support ethnic studies course development.
- Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum April Meeting Agenda
April 25–26, 2019 meeting of the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Advisory Committee.
- Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum March Meeting Agenda
March 21–22, 2019 meeting of the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Advisory Committee.
- Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum February Meeting Agenda
February 14–15, 2019 meeting of the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Advisory Committee.
- List of Advisory Committee Members
The State Board of Education appointed Advisory Committee applicants on January 9, 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
Updated following the Instructional Quality Commission meeting on August 13, 2020.
- Guidelines for the Model Curriculum
Adopted by the State Board of Education on July 11–12, 2018.
- Assembly Bill 2016
Authorizing legislation for the model curriculum project.
- Public Input Webinar
A webinar was held on January 9, 2018, to collect public feedback on the model curriculum project.
César E. Chávez Model Curriculum
- César E. Chávez Model Curriculum
Research Center is now available. Contains several thousand primary source documents and more than 500 pictures from historical archives.