Dear Publishers of Health Instructional Materials for Kindergarten through Grade Eight:
2020 HEALTH INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS ADOPTION
(PUBLISHER BULLETIN 2019-1)
If you plan to participate in California’s 2020 Health Instructional Materials Adoption, you may be eligible for a reduction in the planned participation fees if you meet specific criteria. State regulations establish the participation fee at $8,000 per program, per grade level. California Education Code Section 60213, which requires a participation fee, provides that the State Board of Education (SBE) may reduce the fee for a small publisher. For the purposes of this adoption, a small publisher is defined as one that meets all of the following criteria:
- Independently owned or operated
- Not dominant in its field of operation
- Has 100 or fewer employees, together with its affiliates
- Has average annual gross receipts of $10 million or less over the previous three years
If you believe your company meets these criteria and wish to apply for a fee reduction, please submit your request along with the following information to David Almquist, Publisher Liaison, California Department of Education (CDE) at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, Thursday, October 31, 2019:
- A statement of earnings for the most recent three fiscal years
- A statement verifying the number of full-time employees excluding contracted employees
- A statement verifying that the small publisher is independently owned or operated and is not dominant in its field for the subject matter being submitted
This information will become public and will be considered by the SBE for action at its January 8–9, 2020, meeting.
Publisher Invitation to Submit Meeting
On January 28, 2020, CDE staff and members of the Instructional Quality Commission will hold a Publisher Invitation to Submit meeting. This meeting will focus on the process of participation in the adoption, so it will be important for publishers interested in participating to include individuals responsible for the following tasks:
- Completing standards and evaluation criteria maps
- Meeting adoption requirements and timelines
- Producing the submission package
The date, time, and location of the meeting are as follows:
Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 1:00–4:30 p.m.
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 1101
Sacramento, CA 95814
We also will make the meeting available for viewing online, and we will post the link for access at the following CDE website, under the “Publisher Info” tab, in the days prior to the meeting: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/sc/im/.
Please note that the CDE will soon post the following documents at this same website:
- The Health Adoption Invitation to Submit document
- Intent to Submit form
- Submission Forms
- The evaluation criteria and criteria map templates
- The standards map templates
For more information about the 2020 Health Instructional Materials Adoption, including the schedule of significant events, presentations, and frequently asked questions, please visit the above link.
If you have any questions regarding these issues, please contact David Almquist, Publisher Liaison, Instructional Resources Unit, by phone at 916-319-0444 or by email at email@example.com.
Education Administrator, Instructional Resources Unit