Ltr4-15: Adult Education Block Grant
July 15, 2016
Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools:
FOURTH APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
ADULT EDUCATION BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM
FISCAL YEAR 2015–16
This apportionment is made from funds provided by an interagency agreement with the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and Item 6100-156-0001 of the Budget Act of 2015 (Chapter 10, Statutes of 2015), in support of the Non-Maintenance of Effort (Consortia) funding for the Adult Education Block Grant Program.
The total Consortia funding in this fourth apportionment is $429,853.
The county superintendents of schools were notified of this apportionment by e-mail, which was sent to their CDEfisc e-mail addresses. The California Department of Education (CDE) requested that the e-mail be forwarded to the school districts in the county, and included the link to this letter and the apportionment schedule which are posted on the CDE Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r14/adulted15result.asp.
Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) are required to fulfill the following criteria in order to receive an apportionment:
- Per EC Section 84908(a)(1), be a member of a consortium.
- Per EC Section 84906(a), have approved an adult education plan that addresses that fiscal year, with detailed information as specified in EC Section 84906(b).
- Per EC Section 84913, use these funds on only the seven following areas:
- Elementary and secondary basic skills, including classes required for a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate;
- Programs for immigrants eligible for educational services in citizenship, English as a second language, and workforce preparation;
- Programs for adults, including older adults, for entry or reentry into the workforce;
- Programs for adults, including older adults, to develop knowledge and skills to assist elementary and secondary school children to succeed academically;
- Programs for adults with disabilities;
- Short term career technical educational programs with high employment potential;
- Programs offering pre-apprenticeship training, in coordination with apprenticeship program(s), as specified.
An LEA will also be required to adhere to specified requirements in order to maintain its consortium membership.
Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 6391, Adult Education Block Grant Program, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.
If you have any questions regarding this payment, please contact Janet Finley, Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations and Management Assistance Office, by phone at 916‑323‑5091 or by e-mail at AB86adulted@cde.ca.gov. If you have any programmatic questions, including questions regarding consortia requirements, please contact Neil Kelly, AB86 Office, California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, by phone at 916-324-8895 or by e-mail at ab86@CCCCO.edu.
Peter Foggiato, Director
School Fiscal Services Division