Dear County Superintendent of Schools:
Apportionment for the County Safe Schools for All
Fiscal Year 2020–21
This apportionment, in the amount of $10,000,000, is made from funds provided by the Interagency Agreement with the California Department of Public Health in support of the Safe Schools for All Team established in Section 7 of Assembly Bill 86 (Chapter 10, Statutes of 2021) for the purpose of strengthening local efforts for the reopening and operation of schools providing in-person instruction. The amount apportioned is equal to 100 percent of the allocation amount available.
County Offices of Education (COE) may use these funds to:
- Increase outreach capacity to schools needing assistance in reopening for in-person instruction or expanding the scope of safe in-person instruction.
- Confirm trainings are in place for school staff on health and safety mitigation strategies and develop plans to address masking, testing, ventilation, vaccines, and other safety mitigation strategies.
- Partner with Local Health Jurisdictions (LHJ) and community organizations to address barriers specific to their most at-risk schools and districts.
- Address health disparities by focusing on districts and schools that have high rates of free and reduced lunch, English language learners, homeless students, and students with disabilities, combined with low rates of in-person instruction.
- COEs are granted flexibility to meet other needs specific to their area, including services such as food, tutoring, transportation, mental health services, etc.
COEs are expected to coordinate with LHJs, the California Department of Public Health, and the California Department of Education (CDE) through meetings, as needed. COEs shall also provide progress reports on a quarterly basis, which shall include:
- The number of local educational agencies (LEAs) requesting technical assistance and the total number of pupils served by these LEAs
- The number of LEAs provided with technical assistance for return to in-person education and total number of pupils served by these LEAs
- The number of LEAs provided with technical assistance on outbreak mitigation (e.g. contact tracing and case investigation)
Allocations amounts for each COE range between $60,000 and $500,000 and are based on county population estimates.
For standardized account code structure, use Resource Code 7428, Other Restricted State, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.
Warrants will be mailed to the County Treasurers approximately three to four weeks from the date of this Notice.
The County Superintendent of Schools were notified of this apportionment by email, which was sent to its CDEfisc email address. Links to this letter and the apportionment schedule are posted on the CDE web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/safeschools.asp.
If you have any programmatic questions, please contact the Emergency Services Team by email at EmergencyServices@cde.ca.gov.
If you have any questions regarding this apportionment or the payment process, please contact the Categorical Allocations and Audit Resolutions Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elizabeth Dearstyne, Director
School Fiscal Services Division