Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo
California Department of Education
News Release
California Department of Education
News Release
Release: #19-49
June 28, 2019
Contact: Cynthia Butler
Phone: 916-319-0818

State Superintendent Tony Thurmond Announces Updated List of Programs Serving Nutritious Meals to Low-Income Families

SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced today that economically challenged families in California can now find updated lists of child and adult care centers offering nutritious meals at low or no cost through the California Department of Education’s website.

“Every parent and caregiver should feel confident that their child is in a center or day care home where they are receiving quality care and the nutritious meals needed to thrive mentally and physically,” said Thurmond. “I am pleased that we can pass on this important information to assist families throughout the state who are looking for care.”

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Over 10,000 local child care centers and 22,000 sponsored day care homes providers in California participate. These facilities provide nutritious food to infants, children, and adults.

All children enrolled in CACFP day care homes receive meals at no charge. Most participating child care centers also provide meals at no charge, or free and reduced price (F/RP) meals are available.

Child care centers can provide F/RP priced meals if families in their care meet household income eligibility guidelines. For example, a family of four earning $33,475 a year can qualify for free meals and snacks. A family of four earning $47,638 a year can qualify for reduced-price meals and snacks.

Childcare centers and day care home providers with children in households that receive one or more of the following programs are automatically eligible at the free rate: California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids, CalFresh, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservation (FDPIR), Head Start, and Early Head Start of the Even Start Program. Adult day care centers with adults who receive CalFresh, FDPIR, Social Security Income, or Medicaid benefits are also eligible for reimbursement at the free rate. Institutions serve meals to all participants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.*

To find day care home sponsors in your area, visit the CDE interactive CACFP DCH Sponsors web page and search by county. For a child or adult day care center, visit the CDE interactive 2019 CACFP Center Sites web page and search by county.

Below are the CDE Income Eligibility Scales for School Year 2019–20 for F/RP meals and snacks.

Free Eligibility Scale: Meals, Snacks
Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly

















































For each additional
family member, add:






Reduced-price Eligibility Scale: Meals and Snacks
Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly

















































For each additional
family member, add:






*In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA; its agencies, offices, and employees; and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact the USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027), found online on the USDA Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights web page and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

  2. Fax: 202-690-7442

  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

# # # #

Tony Thurmond — State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100

Last Reviewed: Friday, March 5, 2021
Recently Posted in News Releases