March 4, 2021
State Superintendent Tony Thurmond Announces Model Continuation High Schools for 2021
SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced today that 27 schools throughout the state were recognized as Model Continuation High Schools (MCHS) for 2021.
“Student attendance and engagement in distance learning during the school closures has been difficult—especially for students who struggled with attendance issues before the pandemic,” said Thurmond. “These model schools have been able to keep at-risk students on track using social and emotional learning, mentorship programs, restorative justice practices, and other innovative methods. Through the work of dedicated teachers and administrators, model continuation schools provide the students they serve with new academic opportunities that can change the course of their lives in high school and beyond.”
Each of the schools honored offer various opportunities for their students to pursue academic and social success. For example:
- Delta Continuation High School in Santa Maria has established social/emotional learning elements, including a crisis intervention consultant and school psychologist that provide tiered-level intervention support. Students also have access to mental health group support and one-on-one counseling.
- Desert Oasis Continuation High School in El Centro maintains a community mentor program comprised of local professionals, including many members from law enforcement. The law enforcement mentors participate in activities with students that focus on team building, collaboration, and trust.
- George and Evelyn Stein Continuation High School in Tracy has a strong academic support system in place with an emphasis on creating a plan that meets a student’s individual needs and goals. Each student has an academic advisor who is with them during their entire time at the school and a teacher advisor who develops a plan for graduation and post-graduation.
There are over 400 continuation high schools serving 50,000 students throughout the state, ages sixteen through eighteen, who have not graduated from high school and who were at risk of not completing their education.
The MCHS Recognition Program is a collaborative partnership between the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association Plus (CCEA Plus). The program honors continuation high schools for the comprehensive services they provide at-risk youth through instructional strategies, flexible scheduling, guidance, and counseling. Not only does this involve operating and supporting their own exemplary program, but MCHS-recognized educators make a commitment to support and mentor their peers in other local educational agencies. The MCHS were selected based on a comprehensive application process that involved assessments and data. The process included a peer review panel and on-site visit. This year’s visits were conducted virtually due to the pandemic.
The 27 schools selected as MCHS retain their designation for three years and will be recognized at the 2021 CCEA Plus State Conference in San Diego, September 16–19, 2021. Individuals may attend the conference in person or virtually through an interactive portal with streaming and on-demand content. For more information, please visit the CDE Continuation Education web page or the CCEA Plus website .
List of 2021 Model Continuation High Schools
- Angel's Gate Continuation High School, 3607 South Gaffey Street, San Pedro, CA, 90731-6969, 310-221-4600, Paul Valanis, Principal
- Aurora High School, 1391 Kloke Road, Calexico, CA, 92231-4228, 760-768-3940, Juan Moreno, Principal
- Calico Continuation High School, 33525 Ponnay, Yermo, CA, 92327, 760-254-2715, Brice Scott, Principal
- Chaparral High School, 121 West Allen Avenue, San Dimas, CA, 91773-1437, 909-971-8240, Christine Black, Principal
- Del Puerto High School, 640 M Street, Patterson, CA, 95363-2215, 209-892-4720, Jose Sanchez, Principal
- Del Valle Continuation High School, 2253 Fifth Street, Livermore, CA, 94550-4549, 925-606-4709, Erik Taylor, Principal
- Delta High School, 4893 Bethany Lane, Santa Maria, CA, 93455-4880, 805-937-6356, Sal Reynoso, Principal
- Desert Oasis High School, 1302 South Third Street, El Centro, CA, 92243-6604, 760-336-4555, Fernando O'campo, Administrator
- Frontier High School, 9401 South Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA, 90605-2729, 562-698-8121, Margie Moriarty, Principal
- George and Evelyn Stein Continuation High School, 650 West 10th Street, Tracy, CA, 95376, 209-830-3395, Traci Mitchell, Principal
- Green Valley High School, 35948 Susan Street, Yucaipa, CA, 92399-5299, 909-790-8580, Frank Tucci, Principal
- John R. Wooden High School, 18741 Elkwood Street, Reseda, CA, 91335-1802, 818-345-0203, Laura Novak, Principal
- La Cuesta Continuation High School, 710 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, CA, 93101-2232, 805-966-0883, Lauren Berlin, Principal
- La Vista High School, 909 North State College Boulevard, Fullerton, CA, 92831-3013, 714-447-7821, Sandi Layana, Principal
- Major General Raymond Murray High School, 215 North Melrose Drive, Vista, CA, 92083-5720, 760-631-2502, Carol Barr, Principal
- Mountain View High School, 1000 Ramona Boulevard, San Jacinto, CA, 92582-2576, 951-487-7710, Kenneth Swanson, Principal
- Olympic Continuation High School, 2730 Salvio Street, Concord, CA, 94519-2599, 925-687-0363, Lynsie Castellano, Principal
- Park West High School, 1460 West Holt Avenue, Suite 100, Pomona, CA, 91767-2832, 909-397-4900, Luis Rodriguez, Principal
- Raincross Continuation High School, 6401 Lincoln Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92506-4424, 951-276-7670, Dennis Deets, Principal
- Rancho Del Mar High School, 38 Crest Road West, Rolling Hills, CA, 90274-5058, 310-378-9966, Richard Licciardello, Principal
- San Andreas High School, 3232 East Pacific Street, Highland, CA, 92346-2499, 909-388-6521, Dorie Stratton, Principal
- San Andreas High School, 599 William Avenue, Larkspur, CA, 94939-1554, 415-945-3751, David Luongo, Principal
- Sierra High School, 1040 East Gladstone Street, Azusa, CA, 91702-4837, 626-852-8300, Kent Stout, Principal
- Vail Continuation High School, 1230 South Vail Avenue, Montebello, CA, 90640-6312, 323-728-1940, Horacio Perez, Principal
- Valley View High School, 1801 East Sixth Street, Ontario, CA, 91764-1599, 909-985-0966, Julie Prestsater, Principal
- Village Oaks High School, 1900 West Swain, Stockton, CA, 95207-3439, 209-953-8740, Josef Schallberger, Principal
- Whitcomb Continuation High School, 350 West Mauna Loa Avenue, Glendora, CA, 91740-4399, 626-852-4550, Ron Letourneau, Principal
# # # #
Tony Thurmond —
State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100