History-Social ScienceHistory-Social Science (HSS) resources for administrators, educators, parents, and students.
- History-Social Science Instruction
Content standards and framework guidance to assist students master historical facts, historical themes, and the connections between the past and present are available.
- HSS Professional Learning and Curriculum Resources
History-Social Science professional learning opportunities and curriculum resources that focus on effective implementation of the state content standards and creating engaging and dynamic curriculum in all areas of History-Social Science.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Includes recommendations for observing this occasion held on September 17th each year.
Includes excerpts from the History-Social Science content standards.
Resources to aid educators in implementing Constitution Day activities.
Programs for Students
- National History Day – California
National History Day, is a year-long educational program that encourages students to explore local, state, national, and world history. These projects can be entered into a series of competitions, from the local to the national level, where they are evaluated by professional historians and educators. National History Day – California, takes place in 34 counties and reaches some 44,000 students each year, culminating in an annual state wide contest with nearly 1,000 participants.
- Student Voter Engagement
MyVote California Student Mock Election and High School Voter Education Weeks information.
- United States Senate Youth Program
Annual scholarship competition administered by the California Department of Education.
Electronic Mailing List
- Join the HSS Professional Learning electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To view archived HSS newsletters, visit the CDE’s Collaboration in Common California Social Studies Collection .
- Frequently Asked Questions
Questions and answers for the public regarding History-Social Science in California Schools.
- Parent Handbook for History-Social Science
An overview of the History-Social Science curriculum and an explanation of why it is studied in school.
- Recommended Literature for Pre-Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
This searchable list of books supports, students, teachers, and parents in finding books that will engage readers of varying skill levels in history-social science, mathematics, science, visual and performing arts, as well as general literature.
Questions: Janet Mann | email@example.com | 916-323-5818
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, July 17, 2019