History-Social ScienceHistory-Social Science resources for administrators, educators, parents, and students.
- History-Social Science Instruction
Content standards and framework guidance to assist students in mastering historical facts, historical themes, and the connections between the past and present.
- Professional Learning and Curriculum Resources
Professional learning opportunities and curriculum resources that focus on effective implementation of the state content standards and creating engaging and dynamic curriculum in all areas of History-Social Science.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Includes recommendations for observing Constitution Day on September 17th each year.
Includes excerpts from the History-Social Science content standards.
Aids educators in implementing Constitution Day activities.
Programs for Students
- National History Day – California
National History Day, is a year-long educational program that encourages students to explore local, state, national, and world history. Student projects can be entered into a series of competitions, from the local to the national level, where they are evaluated by professional historians and educators. National History Day – California, takes place in 34 counties and reaches some 44,000 students each year, culminating in an annual state wide contest with nearly 1,000 participants.
- Student Voter Engagement
Information about MyVote California Student Mock Election and High School Voter Education Weeks.
- United States Senate Youth Program
Annual scholarship competition administered by the California Department of Education.
Electronic Mailing List
- Join the History-Social Science Professional Learning electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To view archived History-Social Science newsletters, visit the CDE’s Collaboration in Common California Social Studies Collection .
- Frequently Asked Questions
Questions and answers for the public regarding History-Social Science in California Schools.
- Recommended Literature for Pre-Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
This searchable list of books supports, students, teachers, and parents in finding books that will engage readers of varying skill levels in history-social science, mathematics, science, arts, and general literature.
Questions: Professional Learning Innovations Office | 916-323-6269
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, September 18, 2019