History-Social ScienceHistory-Social Science resources for administrators, educators, parents, and students.
- History-Social Science (HSS) Instruction
Content standards and framework guidance to assist students in mastering historical facts, historical themes, and the connections between the past and present.
- Professional Learning and Curriculum Resources
Professional learning opportunities and curriculum resources that focus on effective implementation of the state content standards and creating engaging and dynamic curriculum in all areas of HSS.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Includes recommendations for observing Constitution Day annually on September 17th.
Includes excerpts from the HSS content standards.
Aids educators in implementing Constitution Day activities.
Programs for Students
- National History Day – California
This year-long educational program encourages students to explore local, state, national, and world history. Student projects can be entered into a series of competitions, from the local to the national level, where they are evaluated by professional historians and educators.
- Student Voter Engagement
Information about MyVote California Student Mock Election and High School Voter Education Weeks.
- United States Senate Youth Program
Annual scholarship competition administered by the California Department of Education (CDE).
Electronic Mailing List
- Join the HSS Professional Learning electronic mailing list by sending a blank email to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To view archived HSS newsletters, visit the CDE’s History-Social Science Newsletters collection on California Educators Together.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Questions and answers for the public regarding HSS in California schools.
- Recommended Literature for Pre-Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
This searchable list of books supports, students, teachers, and parents in finding books that will engage readers of varying skill levels in HSS, mathematics, science, arts, and general literature.
Questions: Professional Learning Innovations Office | PLIO@cde.ca.gov | 916-323-6269
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, April 14, 2021