United States Senate Youth ProgramAnnual scholarship competition administered by the California Department of Education.
The California Department of Education administers the United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP), an annual scholarship competition sponsored by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation and endorsed by the United States Senate. Each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia select two high school juniors or seniors to participate in the USSYP.
The delegates receive a $10,000 college scholarship and attend a one-week, all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. from March 3–10, 2018, to deepen their understanding of America's political processes and strengthen their interest and desire for a career in public service.
Students must be nominated by their high school principal to be considered for the USSYP and cannot apply to the USSYP directly.
IMPORTANT! Nominated students must be high school juniors or seniors currently serving in an elected or appointed leadership capacity in a student government, civic, or educational organization for the entire 2017–18 school year.* They must be actively representing a constituency in organizations that relate to government, public affairs, history and/or community service. They must be actively serving in qualified leadership positions.
Students must be a permanent resident of the United States, currently enrolled in a California public or private secondary school, and living in the state they will represent for the entire 2017-2018 academic year.
The deadline to apply for the 2018 USSYP is Wednesday, October 4, 2017.
Application & Instructions
- California Instructions —Must read before doing the online application & exam
- Part A-California Student Application and Principal's Nomination Form (DOC)--need to mail and be postmarked by October 4!
- Part B-California Student Application & Exam (Survey)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Letter to High School Principals, Counselors, and Scholarship Coordinators
- William Randolph Hearst Foundation – Information from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation's Web site regarding the 2018 United States Senate Youth Program as well as a copy of their USSYP brochure.
For further information, contact:
Dina Fong, U.S. Senate Youth Program Coordinator
David Carriker, U.S. Senate Youth Program Assistant
Prior Year California USSYP Delegates
- 2017 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release 2017 California delegates.
- 2016 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release 2016 California delegates.
- 2015 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release 2015 California delegates.
- 2014 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release 2014 California delegates.