Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Continued Funding Application FAQs

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions relating to Management Bulletin 22-06 on the Fiscal Year 2023–24 Continued Funding Application.

Management Bulletin 22-06

Application Submission, Due Date, Signature

1. How many copies of the Continued Funding Application (CFA) do I need to submit?

One original application must be submitted electronically or by mail.

2. When is the CFA due?

The completed CFA package must be received by the Early Education Division (EED) on or before 5 p.m., December 9, 2022 regardless of submitting electronically or by mail.

3. Can the Legal Business Address in Section I: Contractor Information be a residence?

The Legal Business Address may be a residence if the contractor is headquartered at a residence. The Legal Business Address entered in this section must match the contractor’s Legal Address on file in the Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS) database.

4. Does EED accept CFAs for programs other than the California State Preschool Program (CSPP)?

No. Effective in fiscal year (FY) 2021–22 and each year thereafter, the EED can only accept CFAs for CSPP contracts. Contractors should visit the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) website for instructions on how to submit a CFA for other programs.

5. May I abbreviate my legal name if it does not fit in the space provided?

No. Contractors must enter their complete legal name.

6. Is there a different application for a new CSPP program?

The CFA process is for existing CSPP Contractors; the Request for Application (RFA) process is for agencies applying for CSPP funds.


7. Can I request a time extension if we cannot submit the CFA by the due date?

Please submit requests for extensions of time to the CFA inbox: Requests must include the reason why a time extension is necessary. Time extension requests must be received by the CFA deadline, December 9, 2022. Contractors who request a time extension may experience delays in receipt of their contract.

Program Narrative and Minimum Days of Operation

8. I do not have changes to my Program Narrative. Do I need to complete Section IV: Program Narrative?

If there are no changes to either, the Program Narrative Form is not required and the “no changes” box may be selected in the CFA. If the CSPP contractor has programmatic or minimum days of operation (MDO) changes, a program narrative form must be completed and submitted with the CFA package. If there are no changes to either, the Program Narrative Form is not required and the “no changes” box may be selected in the CFA.

9. If there is a reduction or addition to the MDO for our CSPP, do I need to submit a program narrative change?

Yes. Any deviation from the MDO currently approved in your signed and executed 2022–23 contract constitutes a program narrative change. Select the boxes for the program types with MDO changes in Section IV–B of the application. Then, to provide further detail on the MDO change, download and attach the Program Narrative Change Form (PDF) (EED 3704A).

10. Are we required to include a FY 2023–24 program calendar in the CFA package if there are no changes to our MDO?

Yes. All CSPP contractors must include a program calendar for each type of CSPP operated (i.e., full-day/full-year, part-day/part year) as applicable. CSPP contractors will complete and submit form EED 9730 with the CFA package.

11. What is the MDO we can have?

California Education Code Section 8207 states:

(b) A part-day California state preschool program shall operate for a minimum of (1) three hours per day, excluding time for home-to-school transportation, and (2) a minimum of 175 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation. (c) A full-day California state preschool program shall operate for a minimum of 246 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation. If your agency would like to request to operate a program with fewer days than those stated in EC 8207 or in your approved prior year contract, you must submit a Program Narrative Change as indicated on the CFA instructions.

12. At my site I have a full day program that runs 248 days and a half day program with both a.m. and p.m. classes that run 175 days. Do I need to submit two program calendars?

Yes, you would need to submit a calendar for your full day program and a calendar for your part day program.

13. We have several subcontractors that run a part-day part-year program. Do I need to include each of their calendars individually or submit one calendar with all their days of operation represented? They all meet MDO but may have different start and end dates and different closures throughout the program year.

Submit the part-day calendar based on the contractor’s MDO, rather than the subcontractor’s individual calendars.

Board of Directors

14. Do I need to submit the names of my Board of Directors?

Yes. All contractors who have a governing Board of Directors or other governing body must include the contact information for each governing board member or officer.

15. Can the Contractor’s Officers and Board of Directors form have the same information for all members?

No. Each member must include their name, title, mailing address, email, and phone number associated with the organization they are affiliated with.

16. Does the Board of Directors refer to the School Board?

For a local educational agency (LEA), you would list the members of the LEA’s governing body, which could be a school board.


17. I do not have a subcontractor; do I need a signature on the Subcontract Certification form?

Yes. All contractors must sign Section VI: Subcontract Certification indicating that they do not have subcontractors.

18. In regards to CSPP CFA subcontractors, are board resolutions required by subcontracting entities if they are public agencies?

The board resolution is only required for the CSPP contractor, not each of their subcontractors.


19. Is the board resolution and/or minutes of meeting reflecting authorization of signature on contract documents, and a delegation of authority required as part of the automatic renewal process for next year? If required, is there a specific form that agencies need to provide?

The requirement for public agencies was formerly part of the contract signing process that took place prior to last year in the summer. However, in order to be able to renew contracts more expeditiously, the requirement for public agencies to provide such documents is being requested as part of the CFA for the second year in a row. There is not a specific form required, however, the California Department of Education (CDE) has developed a board resolution template that agencies may access on the CFA web page. Typically, a board resolution is on the agency’s letterhead and is signed by the Superintendent. If not signed by the Superintendent, then the person signing must have been delegated the authority to sign.

20. Do non-profit organizations, which do have a Board of Directors, that are not public agencies, also need to submit a board resolution?

If a non-public agency has a board of directors, then their board should follow their agency’s bylaws and legal requirements pertaining to authorizing contracts on behalf of the agency. Submission of the CFA must be signed by the authorized representative of the non-public agency with legal authority to contractually bind the agency, such as the President of the Board, an Executive Director, or Owner. If an individual with a different title than the above signs the contract, the agency should provide one of the following indicating the signee has the legal authority to enter and sign contractual agreements:

  • Letter on company letterhead;
  • Board Resolution; or
  • Board Minutes

21. Does the board resolution have to be current, or can it be from a prior time period? We may not be able to obtain the board resolution prior to the CFA due date.

Yes, the board resolution must be current, and specifically must state the intent is to renew the current 2022–23 CSPP contract, and if applicable the current 2022–23 Prekindergarten and Family Literacy (CPKS) contract, for FY 2023–24. If the contractor is unable to obtain the board resolution prior to the due date of the CFA, the contractor may request an extension for submission of the CFA. Please see the Extension section of the frequently asked questions regarding more information on extension requests.

22. Our county office is governed by the Superintendent of Schools not the Board of Education. Can the CFA be signed by the Superintendent's designee?

The board resolution can be signed by the superintendent or, alternatively, any person that has been delegated authority to sign the board resolution.

23. CO.8 Federal Certifications: On page 2, Place of Performance, do we include the addresses of the 3 different sites that we operate?

Include all sites at which services are provided, as well as the contractor’s headquarters. An additional page may be added, as necessary.

Child Data Management Information System

24. The CDMIS asks for license capacity. We operate a part-day program (a.m. and p.m.). For license capacity, do you want the capacity for the number of children allowed at one time?

The licensed capacity indicated on the facility license issued by the Child Care Licensing Division must be entered in this section of the CDMIS. If you are an LEA, and have an approved license exemption from the CDE EED, include the capacity of the number of children allowed in the facility at one time.

25. On CDMIS, it also asks for the breakdown by age of children served. Is this an estimate?

CSPP contractors should enter this information-based number of children served, per age, as of the date the CDMIS is updated.

26. When updating CDMIS for the CSPP CFA, do we delete the other contract types listed under the same site? Some of our sites serve CSPP and General Child Care (CCTR) contracts.

Please do not delete any of the other contract types listed in CDMIS because it is currently being utilized by the CDSS. It’s important that all your contract type information remains in CDMIS.


27. The application says that by completing and returning the FY 2023–24 CFA, your agency indicates that it wishes to automatically renew its CSPP contract, and as applicable CPKS contract, for FY 2023–24 and is willing to, and does accept, all the terms and conditions of such contract(s), which will be provided to all CSPP contractors being renewed for funding no later than June 1, 2023. What does this mean?

Contractors that complete and submit the CFA in accordance with all instructions and are approved for continued funding will receive their FY 2023–24 contract(s) from CDE by June 1, 2023. The contract(s) will contain all terms and conditions, but will no longer need to be signed and returned to the CDE to be considered an executed contract as of July 1, 2023.

Unless the contractor submits written notice to the CDE that it rejects the terms of the contract(s), the contract(s) will be automatically renewed and no further action will be required from the contractor.

28. When will contractors receive a contract amendment with their new maximum reimbursable amount?

Contract amendments that we generally refer to as "Budget Act Amendments" are processed in September. For CSPPs that will receive an adjustment as a result of rate increases, those amendments will be processed in December. If you have a different amendment type that you are expecting, please reach out to your fiscal analyst.

29. How will you know if you are a contractor who needs to complete the CFA, or it will be renewed automatically?

All CSPP and CPKS contractors are required to complete and submit the CFA in order for their contract to be renewed for 2023–24.

30. Will our contract number be the same as last year?

Your contract number will change each fiscal year. The first digit in your contract represents the fiscal year of the contract. For example, CSPP1xxx - the "1" indicates a 2022–23. 2023–24 CSPP contracts will begin with CSPP2.

31. Will the automatic renewal process be ongoing, or just for this year?

This change is intended to be permanent.

32. In the transition to Universal Transitional Kindergarten (UTK), should we submit the CFA based on current program operations this year and next year, and submit a revision of changes made if the decisions made by the LEA that affect the CSPP program?

If you are aware now that there is going to be changes to your CSPP in FY 2023–24 because of UTK, those changes should be included as a Program Narrative Change with your FY 2023–24 CFA. If you are not aware of any changes that might be made, and changes occur after March 2023 for FY 2023–24, submit a Program Narrative Change to your assigned EED Program Quality Implementation (PQI) office consultant after receipt of new contract on July 1, 2023.

33. Should we complete a separate CFA for our contracts with the CDE and a separate CFA for our contracts with the CDSS?

Yes. The CSPP and CPKS are administered by the California Department of Education (CDE). The CCTR and other contract types are administered by CDSS effective July 1, 2021. Please contact CDSS at if you have questions regarding CDSS’s CFA process.


34. Are the two professional development (PD) days still available?

Yes, two PD days are still available.

35. Does Juneteenth impact how many days that are considered full year?

The addition of Juneteenth as a federal holiday does not change the California state law regarding CSPP minimum days of operation. Even with the addition of a new federal holiday part-day CSPP is still required to operate a minimum of 175 days per year and full-day CSPP is required to operate for a minimum of 246 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation.

Questions:   Early Education Division |
Last Reviewed: Friday, November 17, 2023
Recently Posted in Early Education