Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

How to Find Independent Study

Provides instruction on how to find independent study offered by a district, charter school, or county office of education.

Do All Districts Offer Independent Study?

No. Except for the 2021–22 school year, offering independent study as an educational option is a choice for local educational agencies.

How Can I Find Independent Study for My Pupil?

Independent study may be offered by a school in your district, a charter school, a school in another district in the same or an adjacent county, or your area’s county office of education.

  1. To find out if your district, county office of education, or other districts in your area offer independent study, please call the appropriate office directly.

    Note: Access to independent study in another district may require an interdistrict transfer agreement.

  2. To find a charter school with independent study that serves your area, go to Charter Schools in California Counties, locate your county on the map, and then click on the county. You may also select neighboring counties for additional charter school options, since independent study charter schools chartered in a neighboring county may serve pupils in your area. Charter schools offering independent study are in pink boxes.

    Note: An interdistrict transfer agreement is not required for attendance at a charter school.

How to Find a Particular School’s Contact Information

Contact information about a particular school is available from the California School Directory:

  1. Type the name of the school in the “Name” field.
  2. Select the “Search” button.
  3. Choose the school you are looking for from the “Select School name below for details” column.
Questions:   Independent Study |
Last Reviewed: Friday, September 1, 2023