Smarter Balanced Practice Tests
The Smarter Balanced Practice Tests, including scoring guides, are now available for grades 3 through 8 and grade 11 in English-language arts (ELA) and mathematics. The Practice Tests provide a preview of the Smarter Balanced assessments, but do not reflect the full range of content that students may encounter on the actual assessments. As such, the practice tests should not be used to guide instructional decisions about students. No score reports are generated from the Practice Tests.
A computer connected to the Internet is required with one of the following Web browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 and 11
- Mozilla Firefox 10 and higher
- Google Chrome 31 and higher
- Apple Safari 5 and higher
- Default Web browsers on iPad and Android tablets
- Smarter Balanced Secure Browser (required for text-to-speech functionality)
An individual user account is not required to take the Practice Tests. Use the GUEST login and session when prompted.
Accessibility and Accommodations
The Practice Tests have general accessibility tools such as highlighting text and zooming content in and out. Also, the following accommodations are available for both ELA and mathematics at all grade levels:
- Glossaries in ten languages (mathematics only)
- Stacked Spanish translations
- American Sign Language translation
Take the Practice Test
California Smarter Balanced Practice Test Help Desk
- Hours available: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 800-955-2954
More information on the Practice Test
Practice Test Resources and Documentation
Practice Test manuals and user guides, classroom activities, and scoring guides