Mathematics FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
2023 Mathematics Framework
At its meeting on July 12, 2023, the State Board of Education (SBE) adopted the Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Mathematics Framework). The framework is important guidance designed to help educators align classroom teaching with California’s rigorous math learning standards.
The Mathematics Framework reflects input from California parents, educators, students, and others who commented during the two 60-day field review periods that were held in 2021 and 2022.
California is committed to achieving excellence in math teaching and learning through curriculum and instructional approaches grounded in research and reflective of best practices across the globe. The Mathematics Framework provides guidance for mathematics learning for all students at all levels of math—including calculus—and ensures students have a wide variety of options including pursuing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) in college and career.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Information about the draft Mathematics Framework.
- Schedule of Significant Events for the Revision of the Mathematics Framework
At its meeting on July 13, 2022, SBE revised the Schedule of Significant Events (Timeline) for the Revision of Mathematics Framework. The Timeline was originally approved by the SBE on May 8, 2019, and was previously revised on September 11, 2019, May 7, 2020, July 14, 2021, and November 3, 2021.
A professionally-edited and designed PDF version of the framework will be posted at a later date. The content will not substantively change from the version posted below.
- California Mathematics Framework Summary (DOCX; Updated Jul-2023)
- Chapter 1: Mathematics for All: Purpose, Understanding, and Connection (DOCX)
- Chapter 2: Teaching for Equity and Engagement (DOCX)
- Chapter 3: Number Sense (DOCX)
- Chapter 4: Exploring, Discovering, and Reasoning With and About Mathematics (DOCX)
- Chapter 5: Mathematical Foundations for Data Science (DOCX)
- Chapter 6: Mathematics: Investigating and Connecting, Transitional Kindergarten through Grade Five (DOCX)
- Chapter 7: Mathematics: Investigating and Connecting, Grades Six through Eight (DOCX)
- Chapter 8: Mathematics: Investigating and Connecting, High School (DOCX)
- Chapter 9: Structuring School Experiences for Equity and Engagement (DOCX)
- Chapter 10: Supporting Educators in Offering Equitable and Engaging Mathematics Instruction (DOCX)
- Chapter 11: Technology and Distance Learning in the Teaching of Mathematics (DOCX)
- Chapter 12: Mathematics Assessment in the 21st Century (DOCX)
- Chapter 13: Instructional Materials to Support Equitable and Engaging Learning of the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (DOCX)
- Chapter 14: Glossary: Acronyms and Terms (DOCX)
- Appendix A: Key Mathematical Ideas to Promote Student Success in Introductory University Courses in Quantitative Fields (DOCX)
- Appendix B: Works Cited (DOCX)
- Appendix C: Vignettes (DOCX)
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
At their January 08, 2020, meeting the State Board of Education appointed 20 members to the Mathematics Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (Mathematics CFCC) to assist in the development of the Mathematics Framework.
- Mathematics CFCC Members
The list includes names and employers at the time of application.
- Guidelines for the California Mathematics Framework for Public Schools Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 8, 2020, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the Mathematics CFCC.
The Mathematics CFCC Meetings and Notices
- February 26–27, 2020
- March 25–26, 2020 Meeting has been cancelled.
- April 29– 30, 2020 Meeting has been cancelled.
- May 27–28, 2020 Meeting has been cancelled.
- June 24–25, 2020
- August 5–6, 2020
- September 23–24, 2020
- October 19–20, 2020
- November 3–4, 2020
- December 2, 2020
- December 16–17, 2020
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the California Department of Education (CDE) convened four focus groups across California.
- Mathematics Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during focus group meetings held from August–October 2019.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Join Mathematics Framework Revision Listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the Mathematics Framework revision process.
2013 Mathematics Framework
Assembly Bill 250 (Chapter 608, Statutes of 2011) called for the revision of the Mathematics Framework to align with the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
- 2013 Mathematics Framework (Dated Nov-2015)
The Mathematics Framework has been developed to support and incorporate the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. The California State Board of Education adopted the Mathematics Framework on November 6, 2013. This is the final digital version of the Mathematics Framework.
- Executive Summary: Mathematics Framework (PDF; Dated Oct-2015)
The executive summary highlights essential information and guidance in the Mathematics Framework and is intended to introduce the reader to the wealth of information and support for teachers, administrators, and parents/guardians it provides.
Contact the CDE Press at 1-800-995-4099 or go to the CDE Press Educational Resources Online Ordering to order copies of the executive summary.
- Making Meaning of the California Mathematics and English Language Arts/ English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Frameworks – Helpful Tools for Every Audience (DOC)
This summary provides concrete examples on how the ELA/ELD and Mathematics Frameworks, Executive Summaries, and Parent/Guardian Brochures can be used by stakeholders to more effectively implement the California standards.
- Brochures for Parents/Guardians in English and Spanish
These brochures on the mathematics standards showcase example problems and highlight the progression of learning through the grade levels. The brochures also offer suggestions for parents/guardians to support their students’ learning and a list of additional resources.
Video: Overview of the Mathematics Framework (Dated 26-Feb-2015)
This video for teachers, administrators, and other educators provides an overview of the Mathematics Framework and how it supports implementation of the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF; 3MB)
Links to the standards adopted by the California State Board of Education in August 2010 (Modified January 2013 Publication Version).
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiative
The multi-state initiative released the CCSS on June 2, 2010. The initiative site includes information about the development and research behind the standards, appendices, the states that have adopted the CCSS, and frequently asked questions.
- Appendix A
Designing High School Mathematics Courses Based on the CCSS.
2005 Mathematics Framework (Available on request)
The Framework was adopted by the State Board of Education on March 9, 2005.
*To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.
Links to downloads of all Content Standards.
All Curriculum Frameworks
Links to downloads of all Curriculum Frameworks.