English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)California’s statewide test for English language proficiency.
The English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) is the required state test for English language proficiency (ELP) that must be given to students whose primary language is a language other than English. State and federal law require that local educational agencies administer a state test of ELP to eligible students in kindergarten through grade twelve. The California Department of Education (CDE) transitioned from the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) to the ELPAC as the state ELP assessment in 2018. The ELPAC is aligned with the 2012 California English Language Development Standards. It consists of two separate ELP assessments: one for the initial identification of students as English learners (ELs), and a second for the annual summative assessment to measure a student’s progress in learning English and to identify the student's level of ELP.
The following links provide additional information about the program:
ELPAC – CalEdFacts web page provides a more detailed overview of the test.
California Assessment Timeline (PDF) presents the assessment administration timeline for the 2018–19, 2019–20, and 2020–21 school years.
Assessment System Chart (PDF) lists the tests of the 2018–19 California assessment system by subject content, test name, test type, student participant groups, grade levels, and testing window time frame.
Assessment Spotlight web page contains archives of all previous Assessment Spotlight emails. Send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive regular updates on the latest information about the statewide assessment system.
Resources and Communication Materials
Talking to Parents About the ELPAC (PPTX; 3MB)
Matrix Four (DOCX)
Matrix displays the universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations (non-embedded) allowed as part of the ELPAC beginning August 3, 2018.
ELPAC Accessibility Resources Video (Video; 17:58)
ELPAC Overview Video: English (Video; 16:06)
Video en español de reseña de las ELPAC (Video; 18:28)
Practice test flyer (PDF)
Talking to Educators About the ELPAC (PPTX; 13MB)
ELPAC Coordinator Checklist (DOCX)
2019–20 Notice of Summative ELPAC Administration Letter (DOCX)
2019–20 Notificación de la carta administración sumativa de ELPAC (DOCX)
Other translations of the 2019–20 Notice of Summative ELPAC Administration Letter
2019–20 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter (DOCX) –This letter serves as notice to parents/guardians that their child will be administered the Initial ELPAC.
2019–20 Notificación de la carta inicial de ELPAC para padres/guardián (DOCX)
Other translations of the 2019–20 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter
2018–19 Initial Federal Title I or Title III and State Requirements Parent Notification Letter (DOCX)
2018–19 Inicial Título federal I o Título III y requisitos estatales carta de notificación a los padres (DOCX)
Scores and Results Reporting
The “Guide to Understanding Your Student Score Report, 2017–18 Summative ELPAC” explains your child's score report. It is available in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Mandarin on the ELPAC website .
The Initial ELPAC 2018–19 Scale Score Ranges document provides the Overall scale score ranges and the weighting of the Overall score by grade/grade span.
The Summative ELPAC 2018–19 Scale Score Ranges document provides the Overall, Oral Language, and Written Language scale score ranges and the weighting of the Overall score by grade/grade span.
Data for the ELPAC in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) webinar explains how CALPADS data are used in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) Local Scoring Tool for the ELPAC, and the English language acquisition status correction process.
Starting Smarter families have a new website for resources to support their child ’s learning. The Starting Smarter website includes information on student score reports, sample test questions, parent-teacher conferences, and other no-cost resources in English and Spanish.
Laws, Regulations, and Requirements
The administration of an ELP assessment is required by law.
Final regulations were adopted by the Office of Administrative Law for the ELPAC administration; see California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 11517.6 through 11519.5
- ELPAC blueprints (PDF)
- The Initial task types (PDF) in the ELPAC blueprints are designed to be aligned with California’s 2012 English Language Development Standards, which were developed to correspond to the 2010 California Common Core State Standards. The Initial task types and blueprints were approved and adopted by the State Board of Education on November 4, 2015.
- The revised Summative ELPAC task types and blueprints (PDF) were approved and adopted by the State Board of Education on September 14, 2017.
- 2012 California English Language Development Standards
- Correspondence Study Report (PDF)
- Integrating the CA ELD Standards into K–12 Mathematics and Science Teaching and Learning: A Supplementary Resource for Educators Implementing the California English Language Development Standards, the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools (DOC; 16-Dec-2015)
- Initial ELPAC Threshold Score Review Study Final Report (DOCX)
- Educational Testing Service conducted a study to determine the viability of transitioning the ELPAC, a paper-pencil test, to a Computer-Based Assessment (PDF; 2MB).
- Potential Transition of the ELPAC to Computer-based Assessment Addendum Memo (PDF)
- Test Blueprints for the ELPAC Summative Test, Computer-based Assessment (PDF)
Initial ELPAC technical documents
- Initial task types (PDF)
- Initial ELPAC General Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs)
- ELPAC Iniciales PLDs Generales
Summative ELPAC technical documents
- Summative ELPAC task types and blueprints (PDF)
- Summative ELPAC General PLDs
- ELPAC Sumativas PLDs Generales
- ELPAC Computer-based Assessment Summative Blueprints (PDF)