College/Career IndicatorThis indicator, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades 9–12.
What is this Indicator?
The College/Career Indicator (CCI) is one of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard). It represents the percentage of high school graduates who are prepared for college or a career. This indicator was designed to encourage high schools to provide all students with a rigorous broad course of study that prepares them for postsecondary success. The following measures have been approved by the State Board of Education for inclusion into the indicator:
- Advanced Placement Exams
- a–g Completion
- Career Technical Education Pathway Completion
- College Credit Course (formerly called Dual Enrollment)
- International Baccalaureate Exams
- Leadership/Military Science
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments in English Language Arts/Literacy and mathematics (Grade 11)
- State and Federal Job Programs
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- Transition Classroom and Work-Based Learning Experiences
This indicator is reported on the Dashboard for any local educational agency (LEA) and high school that enrolls students in grade twelve.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. One report specific to this indicator is the:
- College/Career Measures Report
General Information about the Indicator
- College/Career Indicator (PDF)
- Measures of College Readiness (PDF) A list of college measures used to determine whether a student is “Prepared” or “Approaching Prepared” for postsecondary education.
- Measures of Career Readiness (PDF) A list of career measures used to determine whether a student is “Prepared” or “Approaching Prepared” for the work-force.
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2022 Dashboard Technical Guide - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Work-Based Learning Measures in the College/Career Indicator - Be informed of the definitions and guidance on the CCI work-based learning measures
- Handbook on the Connections Between CALPADS and the Dashboard (PDF) - A user-friendly handbook filled with print screens to help you confirm your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) data before it is used for the Dashboard.
- District of Residence flyer (PDF) - The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – While the CCI will not be produced for the 2022 Dashboard, it will be reported on the 2023 Dashboard using Status only. Get a head start on next year's release by accessing the Status cut scores on this web page.
- Downloadable Data Files: College Career Indicator - Access statewide LEA, school, and student group Dashboard graduation rate results.
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2022 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to access the latest information about the 2022 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
In March 2022, the CDE informed the State Board of Education (SBE) that the development of the civic engagement measure and an industry certification measure was ongoing with specific work groups. The CDE will be using this year to further develop out these measures, including a review of the data collection options. For more information, please refer to the March 2022 SBE Agenda Item 4 (DOCX).
Archived materials from prior releases.
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide (PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Overview of the College/Career Indicator (PDF)
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- 2021 Data Release - Contains information on the CCI-related data released in the 2021 School Dashboard Additional Reports.
- 2020 Census Enrollment and Additional Reports Data - Contains information in the CCI-related data released on the 2020 School Dashboard Additional Reports.
- 2019 CCI Calculation Formula