Dashboard Communications ToolkitInformational materials that help explain the data reported on the 2022 California School Dashboard.
2022 Dashboard Summary
The 2022 Dashboard Summary (PDF) provides local educational agencies (LEAs) the essential background information and factors to consider when reviewing the data reports.
For the past two years, many state and federal accountability requirements were waived or adjusted due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on LEAs, schools, and students. Beginning with the 2021–22 school year, the requirements to hold schools and districts accountable for student outcomes has returned with the release of the 2022 California School Dashboard (Dashboard). The Every Student Succeeds Act is requiring all states to determine schools eligible for support. Similarly, under state law, Assembly Bill (AB) 130, which was signed into law in 2021, mandates the return of the Dashboard using only current year performance data to determine LEAs for support. Therefore, to meet this state requirement, only the 2021–22 school year data will be reported on the 2022 Dashboard for state indicators. (Data for Change [or the difference from prior year] and performance colors will not be reported.)
To ensure that parents, community members, and educators are well-informed of the information on the 2022 Dashboard, the following resources have been developed to meet this need:
- Flyers for Parents (and Those New to the Dashboard)
- Flyers for Educators
- Webinar Recordings and Notetaking Guide
- Talking Points
- Additional Resources
Start your learning journey with these one-to-two-page flyers that help simplify the use and understanding of the 2022 Dashboard.
- Getting to Know the 2022 California School Dashboard (PDF)
- Getting to Know the 2022 Dashboard State Measures (PDF)
- Reporting Current Year Data Only on the 2022 Dashboard (PDF)
- How to View Performance of a School or District on the 2022 Dashboard (PDF)
- Exploring the Equity Report (PDF)
- How to Compare Schools on the 2022 Dashboard (Coming in Febuary 2023)
- Getting to Know the Local Measures (PDF)
- Information on Local Measures for Parents (PDF)
Translated flyers are available on the Translations Tab of the Dashboard Resources web page.
User-friendly flyers that help enhance your general knowledge of the Dashboard state indicators.
State Indicator Flyers
- What Data Will Be Used for the 2022 Dashboard? (PDF) – This flyer identifies the data used to calculate the state indicators for the 2022 Dashboard.
- Academic Indicators (PDF)
- Chronic Absenteeism Rate (PDF)
- College/Career Indicator (PDF)
- English Learner Progress Indicator (PDF)
- Graduation Rate (PDF)
- Suspension Rate (PDF)
Additional Flyers and Information
- Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) Assistance (PDF) – Understand the eligibility criteria for differentiated assistance under the Local Control Funding Formula.
- English Learner Students on the California School Dashboard (PDF) – Understand the different ways that each state indicator measures English Learners.
- District of Residence (PDF) – The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- DASS Update – Information from the U.S. Department of Education on the use of the Dashboard Alternative School Status (DASS) for accountability through the August 2022 State Board of Education Information Memorandum (DOCX) and the September 2022 State Board of Education Agenda Item (DOCX).
The California Department of Education hosted four webinars in November 2022 to support LEAs with the release of the 2022 Dashboard. This section contains the webinar recordings along with their corresponding notetaking guide.
- Webinar 1 Recording: Dashboard 101 (Video; 23:52)
- Webinar 2 Recording: Graduation Rate and College/Career Indicators (Video; 57:32)
- Webinar 3 Recording: Academic, Chronic Absenteeism, English Learner Progress, and Suspension Rate Indicators (Video; 1:25:10)
- Webinar 4 Recording: Dashboard Alternative School Status (Video; 44:05)
These Talking Points (DOCX) contain helpful pointers that LEAs can use to communicate the 2022 Dashboard results to their communities.
Dashboard Resources – Access ready resources at your fingertips! This page contains the parent guide, technical guide, data files, crosswalks that express the differences between the Dashboard and DataQuest, and a handbook that helps you confirm your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) data before it is used for the Dashboard.
School Dashboard Additional Reports – Multiple supplementary reports that offer additional data and insight to your Dashboard results.
System of Support – Information and resources on California's system to support districts and schools to help meet the needs of their students.
Downloadable State and Local Indicator Data Files – Access LEA, school, and student group data statewide results for all state indicators as well as local indicator data submitted to the Dashboard by LEAs.
Status Cut Scores for 2022 Dashboard – Wondering which cut scores are being used to determine the Status levels for the 2022 Dashboard? This page has the answers! Bookmark this link today to prepare for the 2022 Dashboard release.