Graduation Rate IndicatorThis indicator, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades 9–12.
What is this Indicator?
The Graduation Rate Indicator is one of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard). It represents the percentage of students who graduate high school within a specified timeframe with a high school diploma.
All schools – comprehensive (or traditional), charter, and Dashboard Alternative School Status (DASS) – receive a combined four- and five-year graduation rate.
This indicator is reported on the Dashboard for any local educational agency (LEA) and high school that enroll students in grade twelve.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. Two reports specific to this indicator are the:
- 2023 Five-by-Five Graduation Rate Placement Report (Coming December 2023)
- Graduation Rate Report (Coming December 2023)
General Information about the Indicator
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2023 Dashboard Technical Guide - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Handbook on the Connections Between CALPADS and the Dashboard (PDF) - A user-friendly handbook filled with print screens to help you confirm your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) data before it is used for the Dashboard.
- District of Residence flyer (PDF) - The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Crosswalk Between the Graduation Rates Reported on DataQuest and Dashboard (DOCX) - This document identifies the differences in the way that data are produced for DataQuest and the Dashboard.
- Downloadable Data Files: Graduation Rate - Access statewide LEA, school, and student group Dashboard graduation rate results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Graduation Rate Indicator FAQs web page addresses the common questions received on this state indicator.
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2023 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to enhance your knowledge about the 2023 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables – Access the Status cut scores, Change cut scores, and Performance Levels (or colors) for each state indicator.
There are no next steps or upcoming changes for this indicator.
Archived materials from prior Dashboard releases.
- 2022 Graduation Rate flyer (PDF)
- Dashboard Communications Toolkit
- 2022 Dashboard Technical Guide
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – Access the Status cut scores for Graduation Rate indicator.
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide (PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- 2020 Census Enrollment and Additional Reports Data - Contains information in the graduation data released on the 2020 School Dashboard Additional Reports.
- 2019 Graduation Rate flyer (PDF)