Chronic Absenteeism IndicatorThis indicator, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades K–8.
What is this Indicator?
The Chronic Absenteeism Indicator is one of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard). It represents the percentage of students who were absent for 10 percent or more of the instructional days they were enrolled to attend.
For most of the other state indicators, the desired outcome is to have a high percentage in the current year and an increase in percentage from the prior year. However, for this indicator, the desired outcome is reversed and the goal is to achieve a low chronic absenteeism rate.
This indicator is reported on the Dashboard for any local educational agency (LEA) and school that enrolls students in kindergarten through grade eight. Students in transitional kindergarten are unable to be reported separately from kindergarten and are therefore included in the enrollment counts for the chronic absenteeism rate. Students enrolled less than 30 days are not eligible to be included in the enrollment counts.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. One report specific to this indicator is the:
- 2023 Five-by-Five Chronic Absenteeism Placement Report (Coming December 2023)
General Information about the Indicator
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2023 Dashboard Technical Guide - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Handbook on the Connections Between CALPADS and the Dashboard(PDF) - A user-friendly handbook filled with print screens to help you confirm your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) data before it is used for the Dashboard.
- District of Residence flyer(PDF) - The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Crosswalk Between the California School Dashboard and DataQuest(DOCX) - This document provides a short overview of the differences in the way that data are produced for the Dashboard and DataQuest.
- Downloadable Data Files: Chronic Absenteeism - Access statewide LEA, school, and student group Dashboard chronic absenteeism rate results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Chronic Absenteeism Indicator FAQs web page addresses the common questions received on this state indicator.
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2023 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to enhance your knowledge about the 2023 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables – Access the Status cut scores, Change cut scores, and Performance Levels (or colors) for each state indicator.
There are no next steps or upcoming changes for this indicator.
Archived materials from prior Dashboard releases.
- 2022 Chronic Absenteeism flyer(PDF)
- 2022 Dashboard Communications Toolkit
- 2022 Dashboard Technical Guide
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – Access the Status cut scores for Chronic Absenteeism indicator.
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide(PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- 2019 Chronic Absenteeism flyer(PDF)