February 27, 2013 Science SMC Final Minutes
Instructional Quality CommissionAn advisory body to the California State Board of Education
Final Meeting Minutes:
February 27, 2013
Science Subject Matter Committee Teleconference Meeting
(Approved on March 21, 2013)
Report of Action
February 27, 2013
3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Science Subject Matter Committee Vice Chair Lori Freiermuth called the meeting to order.
Welcome and Introductions (Information)
Commissioners, California Department of Education (CDE) staff, and public members present at the seven sites participating in the conference call identified themselves.
The following Commissioners participated:
- Lori Freiermuth at Olympian High School
- Angie Estonina at San Francisco Unified School District
- Ed D’Souza and Lauryn Wild at Cesar Chavez/Dolores Huerta Center for Education
- Kristyn Bennett at Grace S. Thille Elementary School
- Julie Spykerman at Anaheim Union High School District
- Bill Honig in Mill Valley
The following CDE staff members were present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Tom Adams
- Cliff Rudnick
- Kristen Cruz Allen
- Tracie Yee
- Phil Lafontaine
- Diane Hernandez
- Stacey Christopher
- Karen Shores
The following public members were present:
- Jeni Freiermuth, Teacher, Olympian High School
- Kathy Shamrell, Science Teacher, Anaheim High School
- Beverly Berekian, Science Teacher, Magnolia High School
- Yvonne Abril, Science Teacher, Western High School
- Steven Flitsh, Coordinator Math/Science San Bernardino City Unified School District
- Jennifer Allison, Curriculum Specialist, San Bernardino City Unified School District
Update on Next Generation Science Standards (Information)
Phil Lafontaine, Director of the CDE Professional Leaning Support Division provided an update on Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Following the presentation, Vice Chair Freiermuth called upon members of the Instructional Quality Commission (Commission) to ask questions which were subsequently addressed by Mr. Lafontaine. Members of the public present on the conference call asked brief questions regarding the NGSS.
Next, Diane Hernandez, Administrator of the CDE High School and Physical Fitness Assessment Office, provided an update on the assessments in science. Following the presentation, Vice Chair Freiermuth called upon members of the Commission to ask questions which were subsequently addressed by Ms. Hernandez. Members of the public present on the conference call asked brief questions regarding the assessments in science.
No actions were taken by the committee.
Vice Chair Freiermuth adjourned the meeting.