Instructional Quality CommissionInformation about the Instructional Quality Commission, formerly known as the Curriculum Development & Supplemental Materials Commission.
The Instructional Quality Commission (IQC or Commission), formerly known as the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission, was established in 1927 as an advisory body to the State Board of Education (SBE).
Education Code Section 60204 (amended 2009) defines the duties of the IQC. The IQC is responsible for advising the SBE on matters related to curriculum and instruction. The IQC (1) develops and recommends curriculum frameworks; (2) develops and recommends criteria for evaluating instructional materials submitted for adoption; (3) evaluates instructional materials that have been submitted by publishers and makes recommendations to adopt or reject each submission; (4) recommends policies and activities to the SBE, California Department of Education, and local education agencies regarding curriculum and instruction; (5) advises and makes recommendations to the SBE on implementing the state’s academic content standards; and (6) advises the SBE on professional development, pupil assessments, and academic accountability systems alignments to the standards.
The IQC consists of 18 members as defined in Education Code Section 33530 (amended 1989).
- Thirteen members appointed by the State Board of Education
- One member appointed by the Governor
- One member appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly
- One member appointed by the Senate Rules Committee
- One State Senator
- One State Assembly Member
This same section of the Education Code sets out specific criteria for the SBE to follow in making appointments.
- At least seven should be recognized authorities in specific subject matter fields.
- At least seven should be current K–12 classroom teachers, mentor teachers, or both.
Term of Office
Legislative members appointed to the IQC shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing body. Public members shall serve a four-year term and shall not be eligible to serve more than one full term. Prior service on the IQC for a term of less than three years resulting from an initial appointment or an appointment for the remainder of an unexpired term shall not be counted as a full term.
2018 Members and Committees
The IQC holds a minimum of four two-day meetings a year with additional subcommittee meetings. Some members may also attend meetings of other official and related organizations as liaisons. All proceedings of the IQC are governed by the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act (Government Code Sections 11120–11132) and are conducted openly so that the public may be fully informed.
- 2020 Meeting Dates
- 2019 Meeting Dates
- 2018 Meeting Dates
- 2018 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes, Webcasts
Prior Years: Meeting Notices, Agenda, Minutes and Goals
- 2017 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes, Webcasts
- 2016 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- 2015 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- 2014 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- 2013 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- 2012 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- Goals for 2017
- Goals for 2016
- Goals for 2015
- Goals for 2014-2015
- Goals for 2013
- Goals for 2012
IQC Mailing List
Subscription to receive information and updates regarding the Instructional Quality Commission.
California Department of Education Links
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Materials
- 2014 English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework
- 2015 English Language Arts/English Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
- 2013 Mathematics Framework
- 2014 Mathematics Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
- 2014-2015 History–Social Science Framework Update
- 2017 History–Social Science Adoption
- 2016 Revision of the Science Framework
- 2018 Science Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
- 2019 Revision of the Health Education Framework
- Computer Science Content Standards
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards
- World Languages Content Standards
- 2020 Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum
- Invitation for Instructional Quality Commission Appointment
Applications Invited for Appointment to the Instructional Quality Commission. Application deadline is noon on October 10, 2018.
- Application Information
For appointment to the Instructional Quality Commission by the State Board of Education.