Curriculum FrameworksGuidelines for implementing the content standards adopted by the California State Board of Education that are developed by the Instructional Quality Commission.
Revision of the Visual and Performing Arts Framework
The California Department of Education (CDE) is revising the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Framework to incorporate and support the VAPA Standards, which are currently under revision.
VAPA Framework Focus Groups
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE will convene four focus groups across California. Each focus group will include between 8 and 12 invitees who will be selected to ensure balanced representation of regions, types of schools, and grade-level experience. Members of the focus group must be educators at the time of appointment. California Education Code Section 44013(a) defines an educator in this way:
“Educator” means a certificated person holding a valid California teaching credential or a valid California services credential issued by the commission who is employed by a local education agency or by a special education local planning area and who is not employed as an independent contractor or consultant.
Apply to Participate in a VAPA Framework Focus Group
The State Board of Education is recruiting educators from the disciplines of Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts to participate in focus groups to inform the content of the VAPA Framework. Focus group meetings are planned for the following dates and locations:
- August 16, 2018 – San Diego County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 22, 2018 – Santa Clara County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 30, 2018 – California Department of Education (4–6 p.m.) and via video conference at the Humboldt and Tulare County Offices of education
- September 12, 2018 – Los Angeles County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
All meetings are open to the public.
- Focus Group Online Application
Click link to apply for an appointment to a focus group to provide input on the content and guidance to be included in the 2020 VAPA Framework. Note: The link to the online application will be available on this Web page from March 19–May 21, 2018.
- Visual and Performing
Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2001.
- Visual and Performing Arts Guidance
Note: To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.