California Arts FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
Development of the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework) to incorporate and support the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve, which were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in January 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the Arts Framework was approved by the SBE on July 11, 2018.
Note: A revised Schedule of Significant Events for the Arts Framework will be submitted to the SBE for approval at the May 6–7, 2020, SBE meeting. This revision will change the date of SBE action to adopt the framework from May 2020 to July 2020. This additional time will allow for a more comprehensive and considered review of all public comment prior to SBE consideration of the Arts Framework.
Public Comment for Draft Arts Framework
On January 16, 2020, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) recommended the draft Arts Framework to the State Board of Education for adoption and approved the draft to be posted for a second 60-day public review and comment period. The public review and comment period is an opportunity for interested individuals or organizations to provide input on the draft framework.
Members of the public are invited to submit comments on the draft through March 30, 2020, at 2 p.m., via email to email@example.com. Comments may be submitted in any format, but if a commenter is seeking revisions to the draft it is recommended that the comment include the chapter, page, and line number(s) of the text as it is currently written in the draft, and the exact language of the suggested change.
To download the draft chapters approved by the IQC, select the links below:
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (DOCX)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for Standards Based Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (DOCX)
- Chapter 3 Dance (DOCX)
- Chapter 4 Media Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 5 Music (DOCX)
- Chapter 6 Theatre (DOCX)
- Chapter 7 Visual Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 8 Transcending Disciplinary Boundaries—Arts Integration (DOCX)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 10 Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Appendices (DOCX)
Instructional Quality Commission
1430 N Street, Room 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (VAPA CFCC) to assist in the development of the Arts Framework.
- VAPA CFCC Members
The list includes the names and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA CFCC.
- VAPA CFCC Meetings and Notices
Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework.
- Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Visual and Performing
Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF) Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2001.
- Visual and Performing Arts Guidance
Note: To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.