Curriculum FrameworksGuidelines for implementing the content standards adopted by the California State Board of Education that are developed by the Instructional Quality Commission.
Revision of the Visual and Performing Arts Framework
The California Department of Education (CDE) is revising the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Framework to incorporate and support the VAPA Standards, which are currently under revision.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the VAPA framework has not yet been approved by the State Board of Education.
VAPA Framework Focus Group Meetings
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE will convene four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework. Applications for focus groups panelists were accepted March 21—May21, 2018.
Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
Focus Group Discussion Questions
Focus Group Discussion Questions (DOCX)
At each focus group meeting, the focus group members will address a set of questions regarding the content of the revised Visual and Performing Arts Framework for the California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve. Interested stakeholders not attending focus groups meetings, are invited to submit their response to the discussion questions to VAPA@cde.ca.gov.
Public Meeting Notices/Agendas for the Focus Groups
The public meeting notices/agendas provide details on each focus group meeting. All focus group meetings are open to the public.
- August 16, 2018 – San Diego County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 22, 2018 – Santa Clara County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 30, 2018 – California Department of Education (4–6 p.m.) and via video conference at the Humboldt, Siskiyou, and Tulare County Offices of education
- September 12, 2018 – Los Angeles County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
All meetings are open to the public.
- Visual and Performing
Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2001.
- Visual and Performing Arts Guidance
Note: To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.