California Arts FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
Development of the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework) to incorporate and support the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve, which were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in January 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the Arts Framework was revised by the SBE on May 7, 2020.
Draft Arts Framework (Revised May 2020)
On January 16, 2020, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) recommended the draft Arts Framework to the State Board of Education for adoption and approved the draft to be posted for a second 60-day public review and comment period. The second public review and comment period concluded on March 30, 2020. The IQC discussed the public comments at their meeting on April 17 and recommended additional edits. The SBE will take action on the draft Arts Framework at the meeting on July 8–9, 2020.
To download the draft chapters approved by the IQC, select the links below:
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (DOCX)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for Standards Based Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (DOCX)
- Chapter 3 Dance (DOCX)
- Chapter 4 Media Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 5 Music (DOCX)
- Chapter 6 Theatre (DOCX)
- Chapter 7 Visual Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 8 Transcending Disciplinary Boundaries—Arts Integration (DOCX)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 10 Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Appendices (DOCX)
- Summary of Approved Edits from the Instructional Quality Commission (DOCX)
On April 17, 2020, the IQC took action to approve edits to the draft Arts Framework.
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (VAPA CFCC) to assist in the development of the Arts Framework.
- VAPA CFCC Members
The list includes the names and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA CFCC.
- VAPA CFCC Meetings and Notices
Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework.
- Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Visual and Performing
Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF) Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2001.
- Visual and Performing Arts Guidance
Note: To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.