California Arts Education FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
Development of the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The State Board of Education (SBE) adopted the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework) on July 8, 2020. The Arts Framework supports the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve, (Arts Standards), which were adopted by the SBE in January 2019.
SBE-Adopted Arts Framework
To download the pre-publication version approved by the SBE, select the links below.
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (DOCX)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for Standards Based Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (DOCX)
- Chapter 3 Dance (DOCX)
- Chapter 4 Media Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 5 Music (DOCX)
- Chapter 6 Theatre (DOCX)
- Chapter 7 Visual Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 8 Transcending Disciplinary Boundaries—Arts Integration (DOCX)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 10 Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Appendices (DOCX)
- Summary of Approved Edits from the Instructional Quality Commission (DOCX)
On April 17, 2020, the IQC took action to approve edits to the draft Arts Framework.
Support for Planning Remote Arts Education Instruction
- Online resources to support remote arts education instruction
- Implementing the 2019 Arts Standards Through Distance Learning: Lessons from the Field
- Search the California Arts Standards
Schedule of Significant Events
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the Arts Framework was revised by the SBE on May 7, 2020.
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (VAPA CFCC) to assist in the development of the Arts Framework.
- VAPA CFCC Members
The list includes the names and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA CFCC.
- VAPA CFCC Meetings and Notices
Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework.
- Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Information relating to arts education programming, content knowledge, and pedagogy for California educators