California Arts Education FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
Development of the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The State Board of Education (SBE) adopted the California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework) on July 8, 2020. The Arts Framework supports the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve, (Arts Standards), which were adopted by the SBE in January 2019.
SBE-Adopted Arts Framework – Whole Document
2020 Arts Education Framework (PDF) (Note: this is a large file, allow time to load or save the file to your computer before opening.)
SBE-Adopted Arts Framework – By Chapter
To access discipline-specific guidance, view individual chapters of the Arts Framework using the links below.
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (PDF)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for Standards Based Arts Education (PDF)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (PDF)
- Chapter 3 Dance (PDF)
- Chapter 4 Media Arts (PDF)
- Chapter 5 Music (PDF)
- Chapter 6 Theatre (PDF)
- Chapter 7 Visual Arts (PDF)
- Chapter 8 Transcending Disciplinary Boundaries—Arts Integration (PDF)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (PDF)
- Chapter 10 Instructional Materials (PDF)
- Appendices (PDF)
Arts Framework Resources
California Arts Education Framework Resources for Implementation
- A resource hub
for educators provided through collaboration among the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association’s Statewide Arts Initiative, The California Arts Project, and the California Department of Education. Resources include recorded excerpts of the March 2022 virtual launch, with others to be added.
PowerPoint presentations for selected chapters summarize content from the Arts Framework and may be helpful for use in professional learning sessions.
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (PPTX)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for a Standards Based Arts Education (PPTX)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (PPTX)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (PPTX)
The California Arts Standards
- The Arts Framework provides guidance for implementing the 2019 Arts Standards. The California Arts standards web page includes the PDF of the published standards and information about the standards development process.
Schedule of Significant Events
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the Arts Framework was revised by the SBE on May 7, 2020.
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (VAPA CFCC) to assist in the development of the Arts Framework.
- VAPA CFCC Members
The list includes the names and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA CFCC.
- VAPA CFCC Meetings and Notices
Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework.
- Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Information relating to arts education programming, content knowledge, and pedagogy for California educators