Curriculum FrameworksGuidelines for implementing the content standards adopted by the California State Board of Education that are developed by the Instructional Quality Commission.
World Language Framework
The California Department of Education (CDE) is revising the World Language (WL) Framework to incorporate and support the 2019 WL Standards, which are currently under revision.
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE will convene four focus groups across California. Each focus group will include between 8 and 12 invitees who will be selected to ensure balanced representation of regions, types of schools, and grade-level experience. Members of the focus group must be educators at the time of appointment. California Education Code Section 44013(a) defines an educator in this way:
“Educator” means a certificated person holding a valid California teaching credential or a valid California services credential issued by the commission who is employed by a local education agency or by a special education local planning area and who is not employed as an independent contractor or consultant.
Apply to Participate in a World Language Framework Focus Group
The State Board of Education is recruiting educators to participate is focus groups to inform the content and guidance of the WL Framework. Educators with Bilingual, Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development or California Teachers of English Learners authorization, district and county administrators, college/university faculty, and other world language professionals are encouraged to apply. Please note that focus group meetings are planned for the following dates and locations:
- August 16, 2018 – San Diego County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 22, 2018 – Santa Clara County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
- August 29, 2018 – California Department of Education (4–6 p.m.) and via videoconference at the Fresno, Humboldt, and Tulare County Offices of Education
- September 12, 2018 – Los Angeles County Office of Education (4–6 p.m.)
Note: The link to the online application will be available on this Web page from March 19–May 21, 2018.
- World Language Standards
- World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2009.
- Foreign Language Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 3MB)
Please note that the 2003 Foreign Language Framework is no longer current. It does not reflect the World Language Content Standards adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2009.