World Languages FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
World Languages Framework
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing the World Languages Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (WL Framework) to incorporate and support the World Languages Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (WL Standards), which were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in January 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the WL Framework was approved by the SBE on July 11, 2018.
Note: A revised Schedule of Significant Events for the WL Framework will be submitted to the SBE for approval at the May 6–7, 2020, SBE meeting. This revision will change the date of SBE action to adopt the framework from May 2020 to July 2020. This additional time will allow for a more comprehensive and considered review of all public comment prior to SBE consideration of the WL Framework.
Public Comment for Draft World Languages Framework
On January 16, 2020, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) recommended the draft World Languages Framework to the State Board of Education for adoption and approved the draft to be posted for a second 60-day public review and comment period. The public review and comment period is an opportunity for interested individuals or organizations to provide input on the draft framework.
Members of the public are invited to submit comments on the draft through March 30, 2020, at 2 p.m., via email to WorldLanguage@cde.ca.gov. Comments may be submitted in any format, but if a commenter is seeking revisions to the draft it is recommended that the comment include the chapter, page, and line number(s) of the text as it is currently written in the draft, and the exact language of the suggested change.
To download the draft chapters approved by the IQC, select the links below:
- Chapter 1: Introduction (DOCX)
- Chapter 2: Access and Equity for California World Languages Students (DOCX)
- Chapter 3: Pathways to Multiliteracy (DOCX)
- Chapter 4: Overview of the World Languages Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 5: Implementing High-Quality World Languages Instruction (DOCX)
- Chapter 6: Teaching the Communication Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 7: Teaching the Cultures Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 8: Teaching the Connections Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 9: The Proficiency Ranges in the World Languages Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 10: Assessing the Learning of World Languages (DOCX)
- Chapter 11: Professional Learning and Support for World Languages Educators (DOCX)
- Chapter 12: Unique Features of Individual Languages (DOCX)
- Chapter 13: Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Chapter 14: Glossary (DOCX)
Instructional Quality Commission
1430 N Street, Room 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the World Languages Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (WL CFCC) to assist in the development of the WL Framework.
- WL CFCC Members
The list includes the name and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California World Languages Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the WL CFCC.
The WL CFCC played a significant role in the development of the WL Framework. All WL CFCC meetings were held at the California Department of Education on the following dates:
- February 7–8, 2019
- March 7–8, 2019
- April 11–12, 2019
- May 30–31, 2019
- June 27–28, 2019
- August 1–2, 2019
World Languages Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the WL Framework.
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- World Languages Standards
- World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2009.
- Foreign Language Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 3MB)
Please note that the 2003 Foreign Language Framework is no longer current. It does not reflect the World Language Content Standards adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2019.
- Join the World Languages listserv
Receive notifications of updates regarding the World Languages Standards and the World Languages Framework development process.