World Languages FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
World Languages Framework
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing the World Languages Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (WL Framework) to incorporate and support the 2019 WL Standards, which were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in January 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the WL Framework was approved by the SBE on July 11, 2018.
Public Comment for Draft World Languages Framework
The Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) approved the draft World Languages Framework be posted for public review and comment from October 1 through December 1, 2019. The comment and suggestions received will be reviewed at the IQC meeting on January 15–16, 2020, when the IQC will consider recommending the draft World Languages Framework to the State Board of Education for adoption in May 2020.
To download the draft chapters approved by the IQC, select the links below:
- Chapter 1: Introduction (DOCX)
- Chapter 2: Access and Equity for California World Languages Students (DOCX)
- Chapter 3: Pathways to Multiliteracy (DOCX)
- Chapter 4: Overview of the World Languages Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 5: Implementing High-Quality World Languages Instruction (DOCX)
- Chapter 6: Teaching the Communication Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 7: Teaching the Cultures Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 8: Teaching the Connections Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 9: The Proficiency Ranges in the World Languages Standards (DOCX)
- Chapter 10: Assessing the Learning of World Languages (DOCX)
- Chapter 11: Professional Learning and Support for World Languages Educators (DOCX)
- Chapter 12: Unique Features of Individual Languages (DOCX)
- Chapter 13: Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Chapter 14: Glossary (DOCX)
Comments regarding the Draft World Languages Framework may also be sent to the Executive Director of the IQC, care of the World Languages Framework mailbox: WorldLanguage@cde.ca.gov. The deadline for public comment on the draft World Languages Framework was January 1, 2020.
Instructional Quality Commission
1430 N Street, Room 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the World Languages Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (WL CFCC) to assist in the development of the WL Framework.
- WL CFCC Members
The list includes the name and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California World Languages Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the WL CFCC.
The WL CFCC played a significant role in the development of the WL Framework. All WL CFCC meetings were held at the California Department of Education on the following dates:
- February 7–8, 2019
- March 7–8, 2019
- April 11–12, 2019
- May 30–31, 2019
- June 27–28, 2019
- August 1–2, 2019
World Languages Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the WL Framework.
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- World Languages Standards
- World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2009.
- Foreign Language Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 3MB)
Please note that the 2003 Foreign Language Framework is no longer current. It does not reflect the World Language Content Standards adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2019.
- Join the World Languages listserv
Receive notifications of updates regarding the World Languages Standards and the World Languages Framework development process.