CTE Distance Learning ResourcesInformation and resources to assist educators providing Career Technical Education (CTE) support to students and families through distance learning.
For information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) refer to the California Department of Education (CDE) COVID-19 Web Page.
The resource links on this page have been identified by content specialists from the CDE's Career and College Transition Division (CCTD) and the San Diego County Office of Education’s (SDCOE) Department of College and Career Readiness. Many of the resources listed are low-tech and accessible with a Chromebook or mobile device, or have offline options. Additional resources and opportunities will be added as they become available.
Email email@example.com to receive the monthly career technical education (CTE) distance learning publication which includes information on upcoming events, webinars, and resources, including a lesson for each industry sector.
Note: Some resources will require users to create an account using an email address and are only free for a limited time. The CCTD and SDCOE do not endorse any vendor, product or service listed on this page.
Curriculum, Media, and Online Courses for CTE
Find pre-existing lesson plans, courses and other curriculum materials to draw from as you build out the CTE distance learning plan that is right for your students.
- CTE Online Distance Learning Collections Curated lists of easily adaptable lesson plans, resources and projects for all 15 industry sectors.
- Autodesk Design Academy Industry inspired projects across sectors for starting a new design program, preparing students for certification, or looking to augment curriculum.
- Canvas Commons
Free online courses, curriculum modules, lessons and documents related to CTE programs and work-based learning.
- Edge Factor: For Students Inspirational videos, activities, and lesson plans for CTE programs, career profiles, soft skills, and STEAM in the workplace for no charge through the remainder of the school year.
- Energize Schools Distance Learning Resources Webinars and curriculum resources focused on green careers across sectors.
- PBS Learning Media Interactive lessons and activities through NOVA Labs as well as other engaging content for multiple CTE sectors.
- Smithsonian Learning Lab Lesson plans, collections and interactive activities related to multiple sectors.
- Virtual Enterprises International Resources to help deliver high-quality online learning experiences for students in grades 6-12 to provide them with foundational technology and career readiness skills.
- Young Entrepreneurs Teach Everywhere Distance-learning specific activities and lesson plans for teachers.
Career Exploration Resources for Educators
Give students authentic opportunities to connect with industry and explore their future while learning from a distance.
- California Career Resource Network (CalCRN) Career development information and resources to support development of the critical career self-management skills necessary for success in today's world of work.
- Career and College Readiness Lesson Plans Forty-five lesson plans available on CalCRN designed to introduce students to a broad range of critical career readiness knowledge and skills, leading to the development of a personal career action plan.
- EVERFI Free online lessons, that are easy for students to access in the classroom or at home. Built-in assessments and reporting.
- Junior Achievement Free resources to give young people the knowledge and skills they need to become career ready. Modules are available for Entrepreneurship, Financial Literacy¸ Work and Career Readiness.
- Making My Future Work A curriculum manual that contains 80 lessons across four modules focusing on themes of self-exploration, career exploration, 21st-century skills and entry into college.
- Next Generation Personal Finance Free lessons, interactives, assessments and other resources for engaging students with personal finance curriculum when you sign up for a free teacher account.
- Skills to Succeed (S2S) Academy Engaging multimedia interface that delivers high-quality career planning, job exploration and a unique ‘flight simulator for job seekers’.
- Staying Safe at Work A six-lesson training program designed to teach basic occupational safety and health knowledge and skills to young and older workers, and students with disabilities.
- Youth@Work: Talking Safety Curriculum for California A free curriculum that teaches basic safety skills through the use of highly participatory activities such as games, small group hands-on activities, and role plays.
Career Exploration Resources for Students
- California CareerZone CalCRN Web-based career exploration system providing four easy to use career assessment tools and information on over 900 California occupations.
- California Career Center CalCRN Online virtual counselor for career and college exploration andplanningresources to help students map their futures.
- Exploring Career Options Packet (PDF) A printable guide from CalCRN designed to help students discover their preferred place in the world of work by exploring four career-related questions.
- CareerOneStop Get My Future Information, tools, and links to resources to help anyone age 16 to 24 explore careers, learn about and locate training or education programs, and conduct a successful job search.
- Career Readiness Workbook From the Berkeley Career Center printable resource designed to aid students in a job search.
Adult Education Resources
Find distance learning support for the unique challenges and opportunities in adult education.
- OTAN Outreach and Technical Assistance Network Covid-19 Resources
- California Adult Literacy Professional Development Project
- COABE Professional Resources
- Ed Tech, World Education
- World Education
Professional Learning Resources
Build your capacity to support distance learning through the following courses, webinars and resources.
- CTE Teach
- ACTE Professional Learning Resources and Webinars
- Adobe Education Exchange
- CTE Learn
- Google’s Teach From Home Hub
- San Diego County Office Of Education Educators Resources for Distance Learning
Career Technical Student Organization (CTSO) COVID-19 Resources
Students can still develop leadership from home with resources and guidance from the following CTSOs.
- Distributed Education Clubs of America (DECA)
- Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Future Farmers of America (FFA)
- Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Community College Sector Specific Resources
See the sector specific page for instructor resources aligned to industry.
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Advanced Transportation & Logistics
- Agriculture, Water & Environmental Technologies
- Energy, Construction & Utilities
- Health Workforce Initiative
- Information & Communication Technologies (ICT)/Digital Media
- Life Sciences/Biotech
For information on graduation requirements refer to the FAQs on Graduation Requirements.