Work Permits for StudentsInformation to assist local education agencies in the issuance of work permits for California students.
Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit to the school local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).
California Work Permit
- Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age CDE Form B1-1 (DOC)
- Permit to Employ and Work CDE Form B1-4 (DOC)
- Request for Volunteer/Unpaid Trainee Authorization for Minors CDE Form B1-6 (DOC)
- Statement of Intent for Self-Certification for Permit to Employ and Work CDE Form B1-8 (DOC)
Note: Translated forms are available on the California Department of Education Clearinghouse for Multilingual Documents Web page.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Information to assist schools in the issuance of a work permit.
- Child Labor Laws Pamphlet
A useful, compact guide to assist work permit issuers in obtaining a working knowledge of child labor law.
- Letter of Authorization (DOC)
Sample of letter authorizing personnel to issue work permits according to Education Code § 49110.