Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Work Permits for Students

Information to assist local education agencies in the issuance of work permits for California students.

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit to the school local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).

California Work Permit

Note: Translated forms are available on the California Department of Education Clearinghouse for Multilingual Documents Web page.


Questions: Erle Hall | | 916-323-2564 
Last Reviewed: Thursday, January 30, 2020
Recently Posted in Career Technical Education
  • CWPJAC Agenda January 29, 2021 (added 13-Jan-2021)
    California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee (CWPJAC) will address college and career pathways that target California’s regional economies.
  • California Workforce Pathways (added 16-Dec-2020)
    The Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee plans to address workforce pathways to address California’s regional economies.
  • CTEIG Excutive Summary (added 09-Dec-2020)
    Career Technical Education Incentive Grant (CTEIG) Legislative Executive Summary 2019 and 2020.
  • CTE Data Collection Survey Template FY 2019-20 (added 04-Dec-2020)
    Career Technical Education Data Collection survey template for completers of 2019-20.
  • CTE Data Collection for FY 2019-20 (added 04-Dec-2020)
    Career Technical Education Data Collection Information for Highschool Completers for fiscal year 2019-20.