Coronavirus Response and School Reopening GuidanceInformation and resources regarding CDE's COVID-19 response efforts, including the guidance document for safely reopening schools for the 20-21 school year.
The California Department of Education (CDE) is monitoring the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and working closely with agency partners. Local educational agencies (LEAs) are encouraged to follow California Department of Public Health recommendations. LEAs should identify plans for communicating with families and consider learning supports for school closures.
School Guidance Remains Unchanged in Regional Stay-At-Home Order
As set forth in Section 2(e) of the Order, when it takes effect in a region, schools that have previously reopened for in-person instruction may remain open, and schools may continue to bring students back for in-person instruction under the Elementary School Waiver Process or Cohorting Guidance .
Schools are still required to follow the Schools Guidance issued by California Department of Public Health (CDPH), which outlines requirements for safe conditions, testing and tracing. Schools may be required to close if certain percentages of staff and students are diagnosed with COVID-19. All existing guidance applicable to schools can be found on the CDPH website .
Please visit the FAQs that continue to be updated for more information.
California Department of Education (CDE)
From Tony Thurmond, SSPI (Updated 11-Jan-2021)
One place for news releases and correspondence from Tony Thurmond, State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI), regarding COVID-19.
- Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan (Added 17-Jul-2020)
- COVID-19 Accountability FAQs (Added 14-May-2020)
- Changes to the Local Control and Accountability Plan Process and Timelines (PDF; Added 30-Apr-2020)
Child Care and Student Supervision
- Distance Learning (Updated 08-Jul-2020)
- Getting Internet Access: Available Plans (Updated 28-Jul-2020)
Early Learning and Care
- Guidance Letter: 2020–21 Requirements for Collecting Free and Reduced-Price Meal Eligibility Data Used to Determine Supplemental and Concentration Grant Funding (Dated 17-Nov-2020)
- CARES Act Funding (Updated 22-Jul-2020)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Federal Funding Flexibility (Added 26-May-2020)
Joint K-12 and Higher Education California Agencies
California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
A list of various California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidance documents related to COVID-19.
School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 (March 7, 2020)
(PDF; Added 09-Mar-2020)
Joint guidance from the California Department of Education and the California Department of Public Health regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID 19)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Guidance for Schools and School Districts
(PDF; Added 03-Mar-2020)
Specific guidelines for California’s K–12 schools, districts, and county offices of education.