Coronavirus (COVID-19) Federal Funding FlexibilityCoronavirus (COVID-19) federal funding flexibility information and resources for the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has been working with state departments of education to provide program and funding flexibility to support local educational agencies (LEAs) as they respond to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is specific to the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act Title I, Parts A, B, C, and D; Title II, Part A; Title III; and Title IV, Parts A and B; Title V, Part B, Subpart 2; and McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program programs. The resources will be updated frequently. Questions should be directed to ESSA@cde.ca.gov.
California Federal Flexibility Waiver Request
On April 21, 2020, the ED granted the State of California approval of their Federal Flexibility Waiver Request. The following documents provide information regarding California’s request:
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Letter
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Approval Letter (PDF)
- California State Board of Education Agenda Item 03, Request to Ratify Federal Flexibility Waiver:
On December 1, 2020, ED invited states to request a similar waiver under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) section 8401(b) for the 2020–21 school year and fiscal year (FY) 2020 Title IV, Part A funds. The following documents provide information regarding California's request.
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Invitation Letter from ED (PDF)
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Request Public Comment Communication
California Federal Funding Flexibility Webinar for LEAs
On April 23, 2020, the California Department of Education (CDE) hosted a webinar for LEAs regarding the federal funding flexibility waiver.
California Federal Funding Flexibility Frequently Asked Questions
More FAQs coming soon.
Federal Flexibility Resources
- COVID-19 Updates
- Send email to join COVID-19 listserve
- COVID-19 FAQs
- Local Control and Accountability Plan Executive Order FAQ
- WestEd Webinar: Blending and Braiding Federal Funds (Video; 59:56)
- Managing Resources in Response to COVID-19 (Video; 59:02)
- Managing Public Education Resources During COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Guidance
- Providing Equitable Services to Students and Teachers in Non-Public Schools under CARES Act Programs (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Repurposing Federal Equipment and Supplies to Combat COVID-19 (PDF)
Comprehensive Center[the preceding link is no longer valid]
- Equity Assistance Centers