Coronavirus (COVID-19) Federal Funding FlexibilityCoronavirus (COVID-19) federal funding flexibility information and resources for the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has been working with state departments of education to provide program and funding flexibility to support local educational agencies (LEAs) as they respond to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is specific to the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act Title I, Parts A, B, C, and D; Title II, Part A; Title III; and Title IV, Parts A and B; Title V, Part B, Subpart 2; and McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program programs. The resources will be updated frequently. Questions should be directed to ESSA@cde.ca.gov.
California Federal Flexibility Waiver Request
On April 21, 2020, the ED granted the State of California approval of their Federal Flexibility Waiver Request. The following documents provide information regarding California’s request:
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Letter
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Approval Letter (PDF)
- California State Board of Education Agenda Item 03, Request to Ratify Federal Flexibility Waiver:
On December 1, 2020, ED invited states to request a similar waiver under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) section 8401(b) for the 2020–21 school year and fiscal year (FY) 2020 Title IV, Part A funds. The following documents provide information regarding California's request. This waiver request was approved by ED on April 20, 2021.
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Invitation Letter from ED (PDF)
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Title IV, Part A Funding Flexibility Waiver Request Public Comment Communication
On July 2, 2021 ED invited states to submit a streamlined waiver under the ESEA Section 8401(b) for Section 1127(b) of Title I, Part A of the ESEA so that a state educational agency (SEA) may waive, more than once every three years, if necessary, the 15 percent carryover limitation in ESEA section 1127(a) for FY 2020 Title I, Part A funds. Additionally, a state would be able Section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA) to extend the period of availability of FY 2019 funds.
The CDE submitted the waiver request to ED on August 18, 2021.
- Title I, Part A Flexibility Request Submission Template Cover Letter
- Title I, Part A Flexibility Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Title I, Part A/GEPA Flexibility Waiver Request Public Comment Communication (Updated 10-Aug-2021)
ED approved this waiver for California on September 10, 2021.
California Federal Funding Flexibility Webinar for LEAs
On April 23, 2020, the California Department of Education (CDE) hosted a webinar for LEAs regarding the federal funding flexibility waiver.
California Federal Funding Flexibility Frequently Asked Questions
More FAQs coming soon.
Federal Flexibility Resources
- WestEd Webinar: Blending and Braiding Federal Funds (Video; 59:56)
- Managing Resources in Response to COVID-19 (Video; 59:02)
- Managing Public Education Resources During COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Guidance
- Fact Sheet for Repurposing Federal Equipment and Supplies to Combat COVID-19 (PDF)
- Equity Assistance Centers