Instructional MaterialsInformation and resources for instructional materials.
2017 History–Social Science Instructional Materials Adoption (K–8)
The 2017 History-Social Science instructional materials adoption was conducted under the authority of Article IX, Section 7.5, of the California Constitution and in accordance with the applicable provisions of the California Education Code and the California Code of Regulations, Title 5. State law describes the process for the adoption of K–8 instructional materials and the requirement that submitted materials be evaluated for consistency with the SBE-adopted academic content standards and evaluation criteria .
- State Board of Education Adopted Programs
- State Board of Education Adoption Report (DOC)
- History-Social Science Publisher Contact Information
- Instructional Quality Commission Advisory Report (DOC; 3MB)
Recommendations to the State Board of Education.
- Reports of Findings
Review panels' reports of findings for the 2017 History–Social Science Adoption.
- Schedule of Significant Events
Adopted by the State Board of Education on July 14, 2016.
- Evaluation Criteria (PDF)
Adopted by the State Board of Education on July 14, 2016.
- History–Social Science Standards for California Public Schools
- History–Social Science Framework for California Public Schools
- Implementation/Local Adoption
- Guidelines for Piloting Textbooks and Instructional Materials (DOC)
- Implementation of Instructional Materials Not Adopted by California | Implementation of Instructional Materials Not Adopted by California (DOC)
Guidance for school districts which elect to utilize instructional materials not adopted by the SBE.
- Curriculum & Instruction Committee (CISC) Public Resources
Resources from the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA).
- 2016 Selection of Non-Adopted K-12 Materials (Includes Decision Tree) (PDF).
A helpful toolkit from CCSESA/CISC that includes an instructional materials adoption decision tree flowchart (see page A-1).
- Application to Serve on the Review Panel was closed on October 31, 2016.
- List of Appointed IMRs
State Board of Education appointed Instructional Materials Reviewers (IMRs) on January 11, 2017.
- List of Appointed CREs
State Board of Education appointed Content Review Experts (CREs) on January 11, 2017.
- Panel Assignments
- Social Content Citation Form (DOC)
- Public Comment Form (DOC)
- Criteria Tally Sheet, 7 Column (DOC)
- Criteria Tally Sheet, 3 Column (DOC)
- Criteria Tally Sheet, Blank (DOC)
- Standard not Met Tally (DOC)
- Publisher Briefing Agenda: Invitation to Submit Meeting, January 18, 2017
- Publisher Briefing Notice: September 23, 2016
- Publisher Briefing Presentation: September 23, 2016 (PDF)
- Publisher Briefing Notice: July 28, 2016
- Publisher Briefing Webinar: July 28, 2016 (PDF)
Standards and Criteria Maps
- Evaluation Criteria Map (DOC)
- Publisher Instructions for Evaluation Criteria Map | Publisher Instructions for Evaluation Criteria Map (DOC)
- Standards Map for Kindergarten (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade One (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Two (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Three (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Four (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Five (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Six (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Seven (DOC)
- Standards Map for Grade Eight (DOC)
- Publisher Instructions for Standards Maps | Publisher Instructions for Standards Maps (DOC)
2005 History-Social Science Adoption
- State Board of Education List of Adopted Programs
Programs adopted by the State Board of Education on November 9, 2005.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- 2005 History-Social Science Adoption Report (PDF; 4MB)
Grades 9– 12 Standards Map Template and Instructions
9-12 Standards Map Templates and Instructions
Templates are completed with citations by publishers and used by local education agencies in reviews of instructional materials.
Selected History–Social Science Topics
- Celebrating Black History Rosa Louise Parks (PPT)
- Accessible Alternative Version of Celebrating Black History Rosa Louise Parks
Did You Know About...?
- African-American Miners on the Lower American River
- Key Points in the History of Blacks in the Gold Rush
Brown vs. Board of Education
American Bar Association Division for Public Education
- Kindergarten Through Grade Three Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
- Grades Four Through Six 50th Anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
- Grades Seven and Eight 50th Anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
California Legislative Recommendations 2009-10
- Correction: Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties and the Constitution
- Fred T. Korematsu Institute for Civil Rights and Education
César E. Chávez
- César E. Chávez Model Curriculum
Research Center is now available. Contains several thousand primary source documents and more than 500 pictures from historical archives.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Includes recommendations for observing this occasion held on September 17th each year.
Includes excerpts from the History-Social Science content standards.
Human Rights and Genocide
- Human Rights and Genocide Model Curriculum (PDF; 2MB)
- The Genocide Education Project
Resources for teachers on the Armenian Genocide.
- Curriculum Resources at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
Includes social science, science, and U.S. history lessons.
- Classroom Ready Curriculum at the Reagan Presidential Library
Primary sources and teacher guides related to some of the President Reagan's most famous speeches.
- Resources for Teachers at the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum
Includes a lesson related to the Panama Canal Treaties and other materials for teachers.
- Curriculum at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum
Includes curriculum materials based on the museum exhibits.
- Resources for Teachers at the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
Includes a number of lesson plans for teachers and links to primary sources for students.
- Curricular Resources at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
Includes lesson plans for elementary, middle, and high school.
- Teacher Resources at the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum
Includes the "Eisenhower Life Series", a curriculum for grade five through twelve.
- Education Programs at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
Includes student activities and database of teacher-created lesson plans.
- Education Programs and Resources at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and Museum
Includes materials for students, teachers, and parents, including curriculum guides with supporting YouTube videos.
- Curriculum Guides for Education at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
Includes lesson plans for teachers and materials for students.
September 11, 2001
- Remembering September 11, 2001
Books, Web sites and other resources.
Sikhs in California
- California Legislature Recommends Honoring Sikh Americans
A letter from Superintendent Tom Torlakson regarding California Sikh American Awareness and Appreciation Month (November 2012)
- Sikhs in America
Link to resources hosted by Public Broadcasting station KVIE.