California Arts FrameworkCurriculum frameworks provide guidance to educators, parents, and publishers, to support implementing California content standards.
Development of the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework) to incorporate and support the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve, which were adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2019.
- Schedule of Significant Events
The schedule of significant events for the revision of the Arts Framework was approved by the State Board of Education on July 11, 2018.
Public Comment for Draft Arts Framework
The Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) approved the draft Arts Framework for public review and comment on September 19, 2019. The public review and comment period is an opportunity for interested individuals or organizations to provide comments and suggested edits to the IQC. The comment and suggestions received will be reviewed at the IQC meeting on January 15–16, 2020, when the IQC will consider recommending the draft Arts Framework to the State Board of Education for adoption in May 2020.
Select the link below to access an online survey to review and comment on the various sections of the draft Arts Framework. The online survey will remain open through December 1, 2019.
To download the draft chapters approved by the IQC, select the links below:
- Guide to Reading and Using the Framework (DOCX)
- Chapter 1 Vision and Goals for Standards Based Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 2 The Instructional Cycle (DOCX)
- Chapter 3 Dance (DOCX)
- Chapter 4 Media Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 5 Music (DOCX)
- Chapter 6 Theatre (DOCX)
- Chapter 7 Visual Arts (DOCX)
- Chapter 8 Transcending Disciplinary Boundaries—Connecting the Dots of Learning (DOCX)
- Chapter 9 Implementing Effective Arts Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 10 Instructional Materials (DOCX)
- Appendices (DOCX)
Comments regarding the Draft Arts Framework may also be sent to the Executive Director of the IQC care of the VAPA mailbox. The deadline for public comment on the draft Arts Framework is January 1, 2020.
Instructional Quality Commission
1430 N Street, Room 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee
On January 9, 2019, the SBE appointed 20 members to the Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (VAPA CFCC) to assist in the development of the Arts Framework.
- VAPA CFCC Members
The list includes the names and employer of each applicant.
- Guidelines for the California Arts Framework for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 9, 2019, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the VAPA CFCC.
- VAPA CFCC Meetings and Notices
Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9511(c), the CDE convened four focus groups across California to inform the content and guidance in the VAPA Framework.
- Visual and Performing Arts Framework Focus Group Report (DOCX)
This report summarizes the feedback received during four focus group meetings held in August and September 2018.
- Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local education agency affiliation was organized by meeting date.
- Visual and Performing
Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 4MB)
- Information about the 2019 Visual and Performing Arts content standards revision process
- Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards for California Public Schools: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF) Adopted by the State Board of Education in January 2001.
- Visual and Performing Arts Guidance
Note: To order a copy of this framework please contact CDE Press.