Standards Maps InstructionsInstructions for Completing the California Content Standards Maps for the 2021 Arts Education Instructional Materials Adoption. Approved by the State Board of Education on May 8, 2020.
Standards maps are completed by the publisher/manufacturer of an instructional materials program to demonstrate the alignment of their materials to the California Arts Standards for Public Schools. To be adopted, materials must support instruction designed to ensure that students master all of the California arts content standards in Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts. For each of the five disciplines, there are four artistic processes, 11 anchor standards with aligned enduring understandings and essential questions, and individual PK–12 student performance standards that are articulated as measurable and attainable learning targets. The performance standards are not grade-level specific and, thus, are not included in the standards maps.
Completed standards maps must be submitted by publishers in digital and hard copy format to the California Department of Education (CDE), the Learning Resources Display Centers, and to the reviewers specified by the CDE. The standards maps must accompany the samples of instructional materials submitted for review. The CDE will also provide publishers with the mailing addresses of members of the Instructional Quality Commission and State Board of Education who wish to receive materials samples and standards maps. Complete instructions for submission will be included in the Publishers Invitation to Submit document and on the CDE web page for the 2021 Arts Education Adoption. The deadline for receipt of program samples and standards maps is May 7, 2021. We ask that publishers follow the directions below carefully in order to ensure a complete and accurate review of their submitted instructional materials. Please be very thorough and careful in completing the standards maps. The mapping of the standards requires comprehensive knowledge and accurate notations of the standards as they are presented in each publisher’s instructional program.
If you have any questions related to the standards maps, please contact the Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division at (916) 319-0881, or by email at CFIRD@cde.ca.gov.
- Fill in the header for each grade-level map with the publisher's name, the program title, and list of program components. The components list should include abbreviations used in the map, such as “SE” for student edition.
- The first two columns have been completed with the standard number and the full text of the grade-level California arts content standard. Note that only the applicable overarching standards are included.
- The third column, “Publisher Citations,” is reserved for publishers to use to identify citations that demonstrate where that standard is covered in their program. In this space, please provide information to help reviewers determine the extent to which each of the standards is covered in the program. Accurate and succinct responses are appreciated.
All standards in each grade level must be addressed.
Citations may be in the form of a page reference or another statement of the specific place in the program that the evidence for meeting the standard is located. Digital links that connect directly to content in the program are acceptable. Citations should be considered exemplars rather than an exhaustive list, but sufficient evidence should be provided to clearly demonstrate full coverage of all parts of the standard.
- Leave the final, gray-shaded columns blank as they are provided for reviewer notes. Publishers should not enter any information in these columns.
- Publishers may include a brief “appendix” section at the end of each grade-level standards map to provide additional explanation of their citations or comments regarding specific entries, if necessary.