Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

2023 National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Assistance Grant (EAG)

NOTE: The application due date for this program has passed.

Funding Description

These funds allow school food authorities (SFA) to purchase food service equipment to serve healthier meals that meet the meal pattern requirements, replace outdated or worn equipment, improve procurement of goods, improve food safety, improve the lunchroom to be more appealing to the students, help support the maintenance of an existing kitchen or the establishment of a new school kitchen or School Nutrition Program It gives priority to those SFAs that have not received an equipment grant since 2019.


Eligible Applicants Local educational agencies
Required Eligibility Criteria Public school districts, county offices of education, directly funded charter schools, private schools, and residential child care institutions that participate in the NSLP or School Breakfast Program can apply for this grant. The Nutrition Services Division (NSD) will give priority to those sites that did not receive funds from the 2019, 2020, 2021, or 2022 NSLP equipment grants.
Other Eligibility Considerations The California Department of Education will award competitive grants of up to $100,000 per SFA. Each SFA may apply for no more than five sites. The NSD will give priority to those SFAs that have not received an EAG since 2019. The NSD will also give priority to those SFAs that can explicitly document how the equipment purchased will reflect the intent of the grant with specific emphasis on impacting nutrition quality, serving healthier meals, and meeting nutritional standards as well as how the SFA will sustain these improvements in the years to come.
Eligible Grade Level(s) Not applicable
Eligible Age Level(s) Not applicable


Legal Authority 2023 Consolidated Appropriations Act
Source / Type Federal / Grant
State Fiscal Year 2023-24
SACS Resource / Revenue Codes 5314 / 8290
Total Available $3,370,833
Recipient Amount $100,000 per local education agency
Match Requirement No
Allocation Formula Recipients will receive up to 90 percent of the funding at the time of award with the remaining 10 percent awarded upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the award time frame.

Important Dates

Date Application Available October 9, 2023
Due Date December 4, 2023
Expected Notification Date April 1, 2024

Additional Information

Application Request for Applications []
Background Unavailable
Fiscal Unavailable
Funding ResultsNSLP Equipment Assistance Grant Results 2023 []
Other Unavailable


Program Danielle Rice, 916-323-2538,
Fiscal Bryan Gee, 916-445-4815,
Division Nutrition Services Division, 916-322-3005 (phone), 916-445-5731 (fax)
Last Modified: November 15, 2023
Related Content
Trending in Funding
No Trending items
Recently Posted in Funding