Coronavirus (COVID-19) Federal Funding FlexibilityCoronavirus (COVID-19) federal funding flexibility information and resources for the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
The United States Department of Education (USDOE) has been working with state departments of education to provide program and funding flexibility to support local educational agencies (LEAs) as they respond to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is specific to the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act Title I, Parts A, B, C, and D; Title II, Part A; Title III; and Title IV, Parts A and B; Title V, Part B, Subpart 2; and McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program programs. The resources will be updated frequently. Questions should be directed to ESSA@cde.ca.gov.
California Federal Flexibility Waiver Request
On April 21, 2020, the USDOE granted the State of California approval of their Federal Flexibility Waiver Request. The following documents provide information regarding California’s request:
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Letter
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Submission Template (PDF)
- Federal Funding Waiver Request Approval Letter (PDF)
- California State Board of Education Agenda Item 03, Request to Ratify Federal Flexibility Waiver:
California Federal Funding Flexibility Webinar for LEAs
On April 23, 2020, the California Department of Education (CDE) hosted a webinar for LEAs regarding the federal funding flexibility waiver.
California Federal Funding Flexibility Frequently Asked Questions (coming soon!)
Federal Flexibility Resources
- COVID-19 Updates
- Send email to join COVID-19 listserve
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Local Control and Accountability Plan
- WestEd Webinar: Blending and Braiding Federal Funds (Video)
- Managing Resources in Response to COVID-19 (Video)
- Managing Public Education Resources During COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Guidance
- Providing Equitable Services to Students and Teachers in Non-Public Schools under CARES Act Programs (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Repurposing Federal Equipment and Supplies to Combat COVID-19 (PDF)
- Equity Assistance Centers