Management Bulletin 11-03
Early Learning and Care Division
Subject: Desired Results Developmental Profile computer application/support: DRDPtech©
Date: February 2011
Expires: January 2012 or Until Rescinded
Authority: California Education Code sections 8203, 8203.5, 8261; California Code of Regulations, Title 5 Section 18272
Attention: Executive Officers and Program Directors of all Child Care and Development Programs
The purpose of this Management Bulletin (MB) is to inform the California Department of Education (CDE) child care and development contractors that the computer application, DRDPtech©, is now being made available to additional CDE child development contractors who have server capacity as an expansion of ongoing DRDPtech© field testing. This expansion will provide input from agency program staff to the CDE Early Learning and Care Division (ELCD) and DRDPtech© contractors regarding the implementation of the DRDPtech©. Additionally, the DRDPtech© will provide aggregate assessment results from the Desired Results Developmental Profile© (2010) (DRDP© 2010) assessment instruments for data analysis.
DRDPtech© is a server-based computer support system for the DRDP© (2010) assessment instruments. This system is for programs that can install and manage DRDPtech© on a server, controlled by the agency, that provides access to the Internet. A technology person who is knowledgeable about downloading large files, installation of server software, and database management should be available to install the program.
Participation in DRDPtech© field testing is limited to child development programs and Family Child Care Home Education Network (FCCHEN) programs that receive funding from the CDE/ELCD. In addition, Head Start programs in California that also administer ELCD programs may participate in field testing. Agencies choosing to participate in field testing will be allowed to download and install DRDPtech© at no cost.
The Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) assessment system was first introduced in 2001. It is designed to improve the quality of programs and services provided to all children who are enrolled in early care and education programs funded by CDE. During the process of developing the DRDP assessment instruments, it became obvious that a computer application would be helpful to organize and manage data, and to efficiently analyze and compile the results from the teacher’s assessments.
The purpose of DRDPtech© is threefold:
- To help the agency staff record and monitor children’s progress over time. Staff are able to enter observational notes as well as rating information. This allows assessment information to be input at one time or added over the course of days and weeks.
- Once the information is entered into DRDPtech©, staff can view results for individual children and groups of children by classroom, site, and agency. DRDPtech© compiles data in one place and helps to inform the development of curriculum for both individual children and/or groups of children. Longitudinal information can be maintained for a child as she/he progresses on the developmental continuum and over the course of years.
- DRDPtech© supports continuous program improvement as teaching staff and program administration work together. They can quickly look at the results, create reports, compare and analyze data, identify program needs, and plan their next steps.
Accessing DRDPtech© Resources
- Use of DRDPtech© is voluntary and is provided to support child development programs in managing and maintaining DRDP© 2010 assessment data.
- An interactive DRDPtech© demonstration is available to view and includes sample data and reports.
- Information regarding DRDPtech© is available on the Desired Results Training and Technical Support Web site at https://www.desiredresults.us/
. It includes information regarding:
- Server system requirements
- DRDPtech© Installer Program (installs DRDPtech© on an agency’s server)
- DRDPtech© Database Management Manual
- DRDPtech© Installation Manual
- DRDPtech© User Manual
- DRDPtech© Demonstration
- Before accessing the DRDPtech© software, the agency administrator must first review and accept the CDE DRDPtech© End User Licensing Agreement (EULA). Once the representative of the agency agrees to the terms and conditions in the EULA, the agency will be allowed to download and install DRDPtech©.
- Technical support is available at the DRDPtech© Help Desk. After reading the DRDPtech© Database Management Manual, Installation Manual, and User Manual, agencies can contact the DRDPtech© Help Desk at 916-319-0439 for assistance installing or working with DRDPtech©.
- A full release of DRDPtech© is scheduled for the summer of 2011. This will include a stand-alone option to be operated on a single computer for those agencies who do not have server capability. DRDPtech© will be available at no cost to the CDE/ELCD contractors and for sale to the public through CDE Press.
This Management Bulletin is mandatory only to the extent that it cites a specific statutory and/or regulatory requirement. Any portion of this Management Bulletin that is not supported by a specific statutory and/or regulatory requirement is not prescriptive pursuant to California Education Code Section 33308.5.