English Learner RoadmapGuide to assist local educational agencies to implement California's 21st century college-and-career-ready standards, curriculum, instruction programs, and assessments.
CA EL Roadmap Home | Policy and Printed Document | Learning Foundations | Principles Overview | Principle One | Principle Two | Principle Three | Principle Four | Characteristics of Examples | Illustrative Case Examples | Crosswalk to LCAP | Resources | Communications and Updates | Archives
California's Vision and Mission of Success for English Learners
The California English Learner Roadmap State Board of Education Policy: Educational Programs and Services for English Learners was passed by the State Board of Education on July 12, 2017. This policy is intended to assist the California Department of Education in providing guidance to local educational agencies (LEAs) in order to welcome, understand, and educate the diverse population of students who are English learners attending California public schools. The California English Learner Roadmap: Strengthening Comprehensive Educational Policies, Programs, and Practices for English Learners (CA EL Roadmap) articulated a common vision and mission for educating English learners and supports LEAs as they implement the State Board policy.
English learners fully and meaningfully access and participate in a twenty-first century education from early childhood through grade twelve that results in their attaining high levels of English proficiency, mastery of grade level standards, and opportunities to develop proficiency in multiple languages.
California schools affirm, welcome, and respond to a diverse range of English learner (EL) strengths, needs, and identities. California schools prepare graduates with the linguistic, academic, and social skills and competencies they require for college, career, and civic participation in a global, diverse, and multilingual world, thus ensuring a thriving future for California.
These resources have been collected for California educators to:
- Communicate a vision of EL education and actions LEAs can take to support English learners
- Articulate the four principles and the supporting elements that provide the foundation of this vision
- Offer support materials in the form of illustrative case examples from the field that demonstrate the principles and elements in action
- Provide additional resources to support LEAs to implement the State Board policy
These resources are intended to support educators as they develop plans that ensure the academic achievement of English learners.
These materials are not meant to be exhaustive but rather dynamic. The resources provided here are continually updated as new illustrative case examples become available. To submit examples that demonstrate the principles in action use the EL Roadmap Example Survey. The purpose of the examples is to share effective practices that other educators and community members can learn from and apply to their own contexts.
- Policy and Printed Document: This page contains the California English Learner Roadmap State Board of Education Policy: Educational Programs and Services for English Learners and the printed document that, together with this Web site, make up the CA EL Roadmap.
- Learning Foundations: This page contains research related to EL program development.
- CA EL Roadmap Principles: These pages contain information on each of the principles and illustrative examples demonstrating each principle in action.
- Characteristics of Examples: This page describes the characteristics of examples for inclusion in the CA EL Roadmap.
- Illustrative Case Examples: This page contains illustrative case examples from the field that illustrate the CA EL Roadmap principles and elements in action.
- Crosswalk to LCAP: This page contains a crosswalk between the CA EL Roadmap principles and the Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) State priorities.
- Resources: This page contains frequently asked questions about the CA EL Roadmap and contains resources for LEAs and the public to use. This page includes an "At a Glance" information sheet and presentations on the CA EL Roadmap.
- Communications and Updates: This page contains letters and other communications on the CA EL Roadmap. This page also includes dates and locations of upcoming regional presentations and workshops.
- Archives: This page contains previous EL Roadmap information including Workgroup members and meetings that were held.