English Learner Progress IndicatorThis indicator, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades 1–12.
What is this Indicator?
The English Learner Progress Indicator is one of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard). It represents the percentage of English learner students who are progressing towards English language proficiency. The CDE measures progress toward English language proficiency by comparing English Learner students’ results from the current English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Summative to the prior year ELPAC Summative results.
The English Learner Progress Indicator is the only state indicator that reports on only one student group, the English learner student group.
This indicator is reported on the Dashboard for any district and school that enrolls English learner students.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. Two reports specific to this indicator are the:
- 2022 English Learner Progress Status Report
- ELPAC Participation Rate Report
General Information about the Indicator
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2022 Dashboard Technical Guide - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- District of Residence flyer (PDF) - The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – Access the Status cut scores for English Learner Progress indicator.
- Downloadable Data Files: English Learner Progress Indicator - Access statewide, LEA, and school level data on English Learner students progressing toward English language proficiency
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about the other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2022 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to access the latest information about the 2022 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
For the 2023 Dashboard, the English Learner Progress Indicator (ELPI) will have Status, Change, and performance color using the last three years of ELPAC Summative results.
Archived materials from prior Dashboard releases:
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide (PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Five-by-Five Colored Table - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- 2019 English Learner Progress Indicator flyer (PDF)