Dashboard Communications ToolkitInformational materials that help explain the data reported on the California School Dashboard.
The 2023 California School Dashboard (Dashboard), which will be released on December 15, 2023, reflects a full return of California’s accountability system with the reporting of Status (current year data), Change (the difference from prior year data), and Performance Levels (colors) for most state indicators. To ensure that parents, community members, and educators are well-informed of the information on the 2023 Dashboard, the following resources have been developed to meet this need:
- Flyers for Parents (and Those New to the Dashboard)
- Flyers for Educators
- On-Demand Recordings and Notetaking Guide
- Talking Points
- Additional Resources
Start your learning journey with these one-to-two-page flyers that help simplify the use and understanding of the 2023 Dashboard.
- Getting to Know the California School Dashboard(PDF)
- Getting to Know the Dashboard State Measures(PDF)
- How Dashboard Colors are Determined(PDF)
- How to View Performance of a School or District on the Dashboard (Coming in October 2023)
- Exploring the Equity Report (Coming in October 2023)
- How to Compare Schools on the Dashboard (Coming in October 2023)
- Getting to Know the Local Measures(PDF)
- Information on Local Measures for Parents(PDF)
Translated flyers are available on the Translations Tab of the Dashboard Resources web page.
User-friendly flyers that help enhance your general knowledge of the Dashboard state indicators.
State Indicator Flyers
- What Data Will Be Used for the 2023 Dashboard? (Coming in October 2023)
- Academic Indicators (Coming in October 2023)
- English Learner Students in the Academic Indicators (Coming in October 2023)
- Information on the Participation Rate (Coming in October 2023)
- Translated Versions of Information on the Participation Rate Flyer (Coming in October 2023)
- Chronic Absenteeism Indicator(PDF)
- College/Career Indicator (Coming in October 2023)
- English Learner Progress Indicator (Coming in October 2023)
- Alternate English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Results in the English Learner Progress Indicator (Coming in October 2023)
- English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Participation Rate (Coming in October 2023)
- Graduation Rate (Coming in October 2023)
- Suspension Rate (Coming in October 2023)
Additional Flyers and Information
- Connecting the Dashboard to the California Science Test(PDF) – This flyer contains step-by-step instructions on how to access LEA and school California Science Test (CAST) results from the Dashboard.
- Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) Assistance – Understand the eligibility criteria for differentiated assistance under the Local Control Funding Formula. (Coming in October 2023)
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) School Assistance – Understanding the eligibility and exit criteria for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) - Low Graduation Rate, CSI - Low Performing, and Additional Targeted Support and Improvement (ATSI) under the ESSA. (Coming in October 2023)
- English Learner Students on the California School Dashboard – Understand the different ways that each state indicator measures English Learners. (Coming in October 2023)
- District of Residence Rule – The District of Residence rule (also known as the District of Special Education Accountability) is a rule relating to students with disabilities and applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more. (Coming in October 2023)
- DASS Update – Access information from the U.S. Department of Education on the use of the Dashboard Alternative School Status (DASS) for accountability through the August 2022 State Board of Education Information Memorandum(DOCX) and the September 2022 State Board of Education Agenda Item(DOCX).
- DASS 1-Year Graduation Rate(PDF)
A one-page document explaining the DASS graduation rate and the data used to calculate it.
- DASS 1-Year Graduation Rate(PDF)
- Differences Between the 2022 and 2023 Dashboards (Coming in October 2023)
This section will be updated with the latest PowerPoint recordings, and associated Notetaking Guides, that cover the latest information about the Dashboard, along with state and local indicators. Learn more through our 2023 Dashboard Informational Series flyer(PDF).
These Talking Points contain helpful pointers that LEAs can use to communicate the 2023 Dashboard results to their communities. (Coming October 2023)
2023 Connecting CALPADS to the Dashboard Handbook – Use this handbook to verify your CALPADS data before it is used for the Dashboard.
2023 Five-by-Five Colored Tables – The accountability system combines five Status and Change levels creating a five-by-five placement grid that produces twenty-five performance colors that are used for the Dashboard.
This section will be updated as more resources become available.