Academic IndicatorsThese indicators, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades 3–8 and 11.
What are these Indicators?
The Academic Indicators consist of two content areas: English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics. These indicators represent two of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard) and reflect how well students are meeting grade-level standards by reporting the average distance from standard (DFS).
These indicators are reported on the Dashboard for any local educational agency (LEA) and school who test students on the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Alternative Assessments (CAA) in grades three through eight and grade eleven.
Beginning in 2018, the participation rate was included in the reporting of the Academic Indicators. The federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires states to test at least 95 percent of all students and student groups in ELA and mathematics, and to factor the participation rate into their accountability systems. If a LEA, school, or student group does not meet the 95 percent participation rate, the number of students needed to meet the participation rate must be factored into the results. See the Resources section below for more information.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. Several reports specific to this indicator are the:
- 2022 English Language Arts Status Report
- 2022 Mathematics Status Report
- Participation Rate Report
General Information about the Indicator
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2022 Dashboard Technical Guide - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Information on the Participation Rate (PDF) - Access this flyer to learn how the federal participation rate requirement impacts the Academic Indicator.
- District of Residence (PDF) -The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Crosswalk Between the California School Dashboard and DataQuest (DOCX) -This document provides a short overview of the differences in the way that data are produced for the Dashboard and DataQuest.
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – Access the Status cut scores for each state indicator.
- Downloadable Data Files: Academic Indicators - Access statewide LEA, school, and student group Dashboard ELA and mathematics results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Academic Indicators FAQs web page addresses the common questions received on this state indicator.
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2022 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to enhance your knowledge about the 2022 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
- Science Assessments: The Dashboard currently does not include science results. However, over the past several years, the CDE has continued to apprise the State Board of Education (SBE) as when it may be feasible to include science for accountability. For the latest details, please refer to the March 2022 SBE Agenda Item 4 (DOCX).
- Growth Model: Since 2015, California has invested significant time and effort in developing a student-level growth model that is valid, reliable, and fair. While the growth model is currently not included as part of the Academic Indicator, the projected timeline to do so is in 2023–24. For further information, please refer to the Growth Model web page.
Archived materials from prior Dashboard releases.
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide (PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- District of Residence and the Academic Indicator (PDF) - This presentation explains the new “district of residence” rules for Students with Disabilities and how they will be applied the Academic Indicator beginning with the 2019 Dashboard.
- 2019 Academic Indicator flyer (PDF)