Graduation Rate IndicatorThis indicator, reported on the California School Dashboard, applies to districts and schools with students in grades 9–12.
What is this Indicator?
The Graduation Rate Indicator is one of several state indicators that the California Department of Education (CDE) reports on the California School Dashboard (Dashboard). It represents the percentage of students who graduate high school within a specified timeframe with a high school diploma.
All schools – comprehensive (or traditional), charter, and Dashboard Alternative School Status (DASS) – receive a combined four- and five-year graduation rate.
This indicator is reported on the Dashboard for any local educational agency (LEA) and high school that enroll students in grade twelve.
Designed for educators, the School Dashboard Additional Reports offer information and data beyond what are reported on the Dashboard, including summarized views across all state indicators. Two reports specific to this indicator are the:
- Graduation Rate Report, and
- 2022 Graduation Rate Status Report (Coming December 2022)
General Information about the Indicator
Technical Information about the Indicator
- 2019 Dashboard Technical Guide (PDF) - This guide is the key to unlocking how the state indicators are calculated for the Dashboard. An extensive review of each state indicator is covered with explanations on the calculation formulas and business rules.
- DASS Graduation Rate PowerPoint (PDF) - A slide-deck explaining the business rules used to calculate a modified graduation rate for alternative schools.
- Handbook on the Connections Between CALPADS and the Dashboard (PDF) - A user-friendly handbook filled with print screens to help you confirm your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) data before it is used for the Dashboard.
- District of Residence flyer (PDF) - The District of Special Education Accountability rule is applied to all state indicators. Download this flyer to learn more.
- Crosswalk Between the Graduation Rates Reported on DataQuest and Dashboard (PDF) - This document identifies the differences in the way that data are produced for DataQuest and the Dashboard.
- Status Cut Scores for the 2022 Dashboard – Access the Status cut scores for Graduation Rate indicator.
- Downloadable Data Files: Graduation Rate - Access statewide LEA, school, and student group Dashboard graduation rate results.
Additional Information about the Dashboard
- Connect to the Dashboard Measures tab on the Dashboard Resources web page to learn about other state indicators reported on the Dashboard.
- View the 2022 Dashboard Communication Toolkit to enhance your knowledge about the 2022 Dashboard.
- Resources for parents, educators, and those new to the Dashboard are available on the Dashboard Resources web page.
There are no next steps or upcoming changes for this indicator.
Archived materials from prior Dashboard releases.
- Five-by-Five Colored Tables - Access the 2019 Status and Change cut scores for all state indicators.
- 2021 Data Release - Contains information on the graduation data released in the 2021 School Dashboard Additional Reports.
- 2020 Census Enrollment and Additional Reports Data - Contains information in the graduation data released on the 2020 School Dashboard Additional Reports.
- 2019 Graduation Rate Calculation Formula flyer
- 2019 Graduation Rate flyer (PDF)