ElementaryResources for those interested in the academic achievement of kindergarten through grade six public school students; includes transition-to-school guidance.
Universal PreKindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten
- Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) FAQs: Frequently asked questions regarding UPK, the UPK Planning & Implementation Grant, teacher workforce, Transitional Kindergarten (TK) admission, funding and reporting, program information, and instructional minutes.
- Universal Prekindergarten Planning and Implementation: Resources on the UPK Planning & Implementation Grant, UPK Templates, program data, and surveys.
- Universal PreKindergarten Guidance: Universal PreKindergarten planning and implementation guidance documents and resources that support local educational agencies (LEAs) and county offices of education (COEs) in the development of their UPK plans.
- Universal PreKindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Resources: California Department of Education (CDE) PreKindergarten Fact Sheet, slides and videos from UPK Planning Webinars, and UPK Office Hour resources.
- Transitional Kindergarten Implementation Guide: Resources for California early childhood educators which include videos, research briefs, reports, and toolkits around TK.
- California Preschool Learning Foundations - Child Development (CA Dept of Education): The California Preschool Learning Foundations work is grounded in the principle that starting early matters. Ensuring children have high-quality early learning opportunities and making sure the positive outcomes of these experiences are sustained through the early elementary years is the best way to provide all children with a strong foundation from which to thrive in future years.
- Kindergarten Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions regarding California state law relating to kindergarten.
Available Translations of Kindergarten Frequently Asked Questions
- Kindergarten in California
California state law and information regarding admission to kindergarten.
Available Translations of Kindergarten in California
- Extended-Day Kindergarten
Letter from Jack O'Connell to County and District Superintendents regarding extended-day kindergarten within an early primary program: length of school day (AB 2407 [Chapter 946, Statutes of 2004])
- California Kindergarten Association
The mission of the California Kindergarten Association is to foster the development of the whole child by promoting best practices in teaching and learning.
- Board of Education Waiver Requests
Letter from State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson presenting the updated waiver request requirements for kindergarten and TK.
Early Education and Elementary Resources
- Content Standards
What children should learn at each grade level.
- The Alignment of the California Preschool Learning Foundations with Key Early Education Resources: the California Infant/Toddler Learning and Development Foundations, the California Content Standards, and the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework: Ages Birth to Five, Second Edition.
This publication presents the developmental continuum of learning for children from birth through kindergarten. It shows the connections that the nine domains of the preschool learning foundations have with the content of other important resources, including areas of the California Infant/Toddler Learning & Development Foundations, recently updated California Content Standards, and the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework . The publication can be purchased by visiting the CDE Press Online Ordering web page , or by calling the toll-free number at 1-800-995-4099. The price of the publication is $30.00.
- Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources
Curriculum development and textbook adoptions.
- First Class: A Guide for Early Primary Education
Excerpts from the publication, and related online resources.
- External Early Education Resources
Additional resources and information for teachers and parents relating to early childhood education.
Questions: Universal PreKindergarten Support | UPK@cde.ca.gov
Last Reviewed: Friday, August 18, 2023