SFSP Policy Updates
On September 28, 2023, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced updated guidance regarding Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) operations and procedures. The USDA issued three new policy memos and revised two existing policy memos. This communication identifies and briefly describes each of these policy memos. All SFSP related policy memos can be viewed on the USDA SFSP Policy web page .
- Policy Memorandum SFSP 13-2023: Unused Reimbursement in the Summer Food Service Program
Provides guidance to program operators for managing situations in which sponsors receive more reimbursement than they have spent on allowable costs in the SFSP.
- Policy Memorandum SFSP 14-2023: Best Practices for Managing Unused Reimbursement in the Summer Food Service Program
Provides guidance and best practices for preventing and managing the accumulation of unused reimbursement by program operators.
- Policy Memorandum SFSP 15-2023: Best Practices for Determining Proximity of Sites for Congregate Feeding in the Summer Food Service Program
Provides information and best practices to assist in preventing multiple sites serving the same meals at the same time to the same population of children in the SFSP.
- Policy Memorandum SFSP 01-2008: Nationwide Expansion of Summer Food Service Program Simplified Cost Accounting Procedures - Revised
This policy memo updates previously issued guidance to clarify SFSP Simplified Cost Accounting requirements, as found in Title 7, Code of Federal Regulations, section 225. Out-of-date language concerning unused reimbursement has been removed.
- Policy Memorandum SFSP 05-2017: Summer Food Service Program Questions and Answers – Revised
This guidance updates previously issued Question and Answers to clarify SFSP requirements. It supersedes SFSP 05-2017, Summer Food Service Program Questions and Answers, December 1, 2016. Out-of-date language concerning unused reimbursement has been removed.
The California Department of Education will issue management bulletins on these topics as deemed necessary.
If you have questions regarding this subject, please reach out to the Summer Nutrition Programs and Grants Unit by email at SFSP@cde.ca.gov.