Physical Fitness Testing (PFT)
The physical fitness test (PFT) for students in California schools is the FITNESSGRAM®. The main goal of the test is to help students in starting life-long habits of regular physical activity.
Students in grades five, seven, and nine take the fitness test. The FITNESSGRAM® has six parts, though California currently requires five parts be completed annually, that show a level of fitness that offer a degree of defense against diseases that come from inactivity. The test results can be used by students, teachers, and parents.
- For more information about the PFT, contact your local school district.
- The PFT - CalEdFacts page provides a more detailed overview of the test.
- The information below was developed to provide assistance to various groups that are directly involved with, or have an interest in, the PFT.
PFT Legislative Report
In September 2020, Senate Bill 820 (Chapter 110, Statutes of 2020) Section 68, required the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) to submit a report with recommendations regarding the purpose and administration of the physical performance test as indicated. The report with recommendations for the purpose and administration of the California Physical Performance Test also includes the California Physical Fitness Test Research Study with recommendations from the expert panel.
You can find the full report to the Legislature, the Department of Finance, and the State Board of Education Physical Performance Test on the Legislative Reports web page.
The 2023–24 physical fitness test (PFT) is to be administered between February 1 and May 31, 2024, in accordance with the 2021–22 changes noted below.
Administration and data reporting requirements of the PFT:
- Body Composition component is no longer required
- The reporting of student performance using the Healthy Fitness Zones are not required
- Schools are not required to collect or use height and weight, including body mass index, for data reporting
- Schools are not required to collect or use gender for data reporting
- Schools are not required to collect or use age for data reporting
- Student participation (by component, by grade) shall be reported in the LEA’s annual School Accountability Report Card (SARC)
PFT Coordinator Resources
How to Calculate PFT Participation
Instructions on how to calculate PFT Participation rates.
California PFT Webinar November 12, 2021
This webinar provides guidance to PFT Coordinators.
PFT Fact Sheet
(PDF; Posted 28-Jan-2022)
Answers questions about the what, why, who, how, and when for the PFT.
June 2019 Appropriate Uses and Data Privacy Letter
Provides information regarding appropriate uses and data privacy for the California PFT.
California Physical Fitness Test— 2022–23 Update Letter
Provides information on the primary goal of the PFT, appropriate uses of PFT results, and how to prepare students for the PFT, and reminds local educational agencies to review their confidentiality practices.
PFT Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Provides brief responses to the most frequently asked questions.
Resources for local educational agencies, including contacts, from the California Department of Education and FITNESSGRAM® .
PFT Coordinator Manual
The PFT Coordinator Manual provides information and resources that PFT Coordinators need to prepare for and administer the PFT, including background information and directions for administering the PFT.
BMI and VO2 Max Calculator(XLSX)
If a local educational agency chooses to calculate BMI and/or VO2 Max, this spreadsheet is provided for local use only.
PFT Resources for Test Administrators
Sample Student Data Collection Form
(PDF; Updated September 2022)
An optional form that test administrators can use while testing students.
FITNESSGRAM® Fitness Areas, Test Options, and Equipment
(DOCX; Updated September 2022)
Charts that show the test options available for each fitness area and the equipment required for each test.
Information Sharing with Parents
Talking to Parents About the PFT
A slide deck for use by site administrators to provide information about the PFT to parents and guardians.
Parent and Guardian Notification Letter Template (DOCX; Updated January 2023)
This letter is a template you may use to send to parents or guardians notifying them of the start of PFT testing and your local testing window.
Translations of this parent notification letter template are available in the following languages:
- Arabic Template (DOCX)
- Russian Template (DOCX)
- Simplified Chinese Template (DOCX)
- Spanish Template (DOCX)
- Traditional Chinese Template (DOCX)
- Tagalog Template (DOCX)
- Vietnamese Template (DOCX)
Parent Guide to Understanding the PFT and FITNESSGRAM®
(PDF; Posted 24-Jan-2022)
Provides parents with answers to key questions about the what, why, who, how, and when of the PFT.
Translations of this parent guide are available in the following languages:
- Arabic Parent Guide (PDF)
- Russian Parent Guide (PDF)
- Simplified Chinese Parent Guide (PDF)
- Spanish Parent Guide (PDF)
- Traditional Chinese Parent Guide (PDF)
- Tagalog Parent Guide (PDF)
- Vietnamese Parent Guide (PDF)
Statute and Regulations
California Education Code Section 60800
State law governing PFT administration.
California Code of Regulations, Title 5 sections 1040 –1046 (westlaw.com)