November 16, 2022 IQC Meeting Agenda
Instructional Quality CommissionAn advisory body to the California State Board of Education
Please note, the November Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) meeting will be held as a videoconference; Room 1101 (Board Room) will be closed to the public. Please see IQC Meeting Logistics section below for options to view and participate in the meeting.
November 16, 2022
Revised November 8, 2022
Instructional Quality Commission Members
- Deborah Costa Hernández, Chair
- Manuel Rustin, Vice Chair
- Cristina Andre
- Mariana Astorga-Almanza
- Anita Friedman
- Linsey Gotanda
- Charice Guerra
- Lily Jarvis
- Neil MacGaffey
- David Phanthai
- Nikole Reina-Guerra
- Pamela Williamson
- Marcey Winawer
- Kimberly Young
- Meera Chakradeo, Student Member
- James Ramos, Assemblymember
- Ben Allen, Senator
- Mike Torres
State Board of Education Liaison
- Cynthia Glover Woods
IQC MEETING LOGISTICS
On June 30, 2022, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 189 (Chapter 44, Statutes of 2022) which added Government Code Section 11133 to allow state bodies covered by the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act (Act) to hold public meetings covered by the Act via web and/or audio teleconferencing through June 30, 2023. As such, the November IQC meeting will be held as an audio/video teleconference and will have a live webcast which will subsequently be archived on the IQC website. The Board Room 1101 in the California Department of Education (CDE) will be closed to the public. Please see the Public Comment Guidelines section below for options to view and participate during the meeting.
PUBLIC COMMENT GUIDELINES
Public comment on items before the IQC at this meeting may be provided via email or phone, as specified below.
The public is highly encouraged to submit written comment to the IQC Commissioners in advance for their prior consideration. In order to help ensure that Commissioners have sufficient time to review comments prior to the meeting, please submit your comment by noon on Thursday, November 10, 2022. Comments should be submitted to the IQC mailbox at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Join the IQC electronic mailing list to receive information and updates from the Commission.
While not required, we ask that you include the following information in the body of the email:
- Commenter’s first and last name
- Organization affiliation
- Agenda item number or general public comment
Public comment on items before the IQC at this meeting may also be provided during the meeting by dialing the phone number and following a prompt to provide a participant access code. The operator will notify callers when it is their turn to provide public comment. If possible, we recommend members of the public dialing in for public comment view the live-stream of the meeting for a better understanding of the meeting’s status. The number and access code are below and will also be announced at the start of public comment for each item.
- The phone line will open before each agenda item and close at the conclusion of that item. Speakers should not call in until the beginning of the agenda item they wish to give public comment on.
- Prior to making public comment, speakers who are watching the meeting via live webcast should make sure the volume on their computer is muted to avoid an echoing or feedback sounds during the call.
- The chairperson or presiding member of the hearing body shall determine the total amount of time that will be devoted to hearing oral comments, and may determine the time to be allotted to each person or to each side of an issue.
- Please use the phone number and access code provided below:
- Phone number: (667) 770-1236
- Access code: 5691325
- Speakers may only give comment for themselves and not provide comment on behalf of another individual or group.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION FOR ANY INDIVIDUAL WITH A DISABILITY
Pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, any individual with a disability or any other individual who requires reasonable accommodation to attend or participate in a meeting or function of the IQC may request assistance by contacting the California Department of Education's Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division Office at 1430 N Street, Room 3207, Sacramento, CA 95814; telephone 916-319-0881; facsimile 916-319-0172 at least days in advance of the scheduled meeting date.
Please see the detailed agenda for more information about the items to be considered and acted upon. The public is welcome to view and/or dial in to the meeting and give public comment.
All times are approximate and are provided for convenience only.
All items may be heard in a different order than how they are listed on the agenda on any day of the noticed meeting.
The Instructional Quality Commission will hold a meeting on Wednesday, November 16, 2022, that will be held remotely with a live webcast. The meeting will include some activities involving the IQC as a whole and others involving one or more of the IQC’s various committees. The following outline of activities is provided for convenience only. The actual order of business may be changed without notice by the IQC Chair to accommodate the needs of members, invited presenters, and key staff. Anyone interested in a particular matter should plan to view/listen to the entire meeting. Timing and order of activities may change. The full IQC and its various committees will commence, recess, and reconvene as necessary throughout the meeting.
The agenda listing is illustrative of the matters to be considered, but it is not necessarily exhaustive.
The agenda for this IQC meeting may involve the full scope of its statutory responsibilities, which includes studying the problems of courses of study in the schools of the state; developing criteria; conducting the evaluation of instructional materials; and recommending minimum standards for courses of study, curriculum frameworks, and the adoption or rejection of instructional materials. The IQC reserves the right to consider specific matters and take action within the full scope of its responsibilities. The list that follows is illustrative of the matters to be considered, but it is not necessarily exhaustive.
This agenda is posted on the IQC website.
INSTRUCTIONAL QUALITY COMMISSION AGENDA
Wednesday, November 16, 2022
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ± (plus or minus)*
- Full Instructional Quality Commission
- Call to Order
- Salute to the Flag
- Administration of Oath of Office
- Overview of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes for the Following Meeting (Action)
- Report of the 2022 IQC Chair
- Report of the Deputy Superintendent
- Report of the Executive Director
- Report of the State Board of Education
- Approve Revised 2023 IQC Meeting Dates (Action) (DOC) Posted 11/8/22
- Arts, Music, and Instructional Materials Discretionary Block Grant (Information)
- Plan January 2023 New Commissioner Orientation (Discussion)
- Commissioner Acknowledgments (Discussion)
- Assessment Update (Information)
- Call to Order