USDA Civil Rights and ComplaintsU.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food & Nutrition Service (FNS) policies and procedures about nondiscrimination in the administration of the child nutrition and food distribution programs.
Agencies must include the most current version of the federal nondiscrimination statement in a prominent location in all public information releases, publications, and on posters concerning nutrition program activities, except menus. The current nondiscrimination statement, including the Spanish statement, can be found at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Civil Rights Web page.
The short statement reads: "This institution is an equal opportunity provider." and can be used on flyers, posters, or documents that are one page by nature, in a font no smaller than the text.
- NSD Civil Rights and Complaints Online Training Course
This training fulfils the mandatory annual civil rights training for sponsors, as designated by USDA Food and Nutrition Service Instruction 113-1.
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
This contains the federal nondiscrimination statement.
- NSD Civil Rights and Complaints Handbook (DOCX)
This handbook outlines the civil rights requirements for all agencies participating in the Child Nutrition Programs.
- And Justice for All Poster
- Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations for Child Nutrition Programs (DOC; Aug-2017)
CNP 925 - This form is used by parents/guardians to have a medical authority prescribe special meals or accommodations during meals.
Available translations of the Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations for Child Nutrition Programs (Dated Aug-2017)
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities.
All program and civil rights complaints filed with the NSD are resolved at the state level. Any complaint alleging discrimination will be forwarded to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for investigation. The NSD Complaint Coordinator logs the complaint, then refers it to the appropriate program or Field Services Unit and tracks it through resolution.
Complaints can be submitted to the NSD online by using the NSD Complaints Survey , or by contacting Heather Sashington, Civil Rights and Complaints Coordinator, by phone at 916-322-2135 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Quality Assurance Process
Resources to improve educational outcomes for students with disabilities while ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Available Translations of Program Materials
Management Bulletin SNP-09-2016 detailing available translations from the USDA for Limited English Proficient (LEP) households.
- SNP Eligibility Materials
This page contains links to available translations of the applications for LEP households for free and reduced-price meals, the approval/denial notification, and pricing/non-pricing letters to households.
- USDA Web Site
- USDA, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
- USDA, Food Nutrition Services, Office of Civil Rights
- United States Department of Justice - A Guide to Disability Rights Laws
- United States Department of Justice - Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service Instruction 113-1 (PDF)